Saturday, April 19, 2008

The Second Leg

The storms of the previous evening had past and the morning was bright and sunny. I had asked my wife if she minded if I went out to grab a few caches in Jackson before we left the hotel and continued on our way to Florida. She thought it was a good idea so I headed out with my caching supplies in hand.

The first cache was not far away. It was on the same (busy) road the hotel was on and I made short work of finding it. It had not been maintained very well (it needed a new log book) but a find is a find. It was not overly memorable, but at least I had one MS cache under my belt.

The next one on the list was close to the first one and gave me fits until I looked at the clue. It was hidden in the shutter of a local business under a large awning...enough that the GPS coords were off but I managed to find it nonetheless.

Feeling confident, I headed off to the next one...an ammo can on the property of a local church. How hard could it be? Well the answer to that question..."I have no idea". You see, when I got to the wooded area and hiked in ¼ of a mile to GZ, I found a TENT very close to where the cache should have been. Also, the forest canopy was so thick I could not keep lock on the birds in space that were guiding me. After grumbling about that one, I moved on to easier findings. Or at least I thought.

A quick hop East put me at the reservoir that was nearby. “Easy”, I thought to myself. Little did I know that this was a biking and running hot spot for the locals. Muggles were everywhere. I figured I would abandon my search here and grab a rather unique Geocoin in a nearby cemetery.

I found the cemetery but it was not well maintained and the overgrowth and the canopy (not to mention the lack of time) gave me no choice but to abandon this search as well. Hummmph. So far for caching success in Mississippi!

I made my way back to the hotel dripping wet. The previous night's rain had drenched the area, so my shoes, socks, and pants were soaked. I grabbed a quick shower, changed clothes, and went with my wife to eat breakfast downstairs.

After breakfast I loaded up the van and after my wife walked the dogs, we were on our way. While the distance we needed to cover was less than 400 miles, it turned out to be a long 400 miles. The highways we took were through small towns with low speed limits. Needless to say we made it to the beach at 6:30 PM local time...we had planned on 3:30 PM.

The beach house was very nice but it was not as clean as we had hoped. We unloaded and unpacked just a few things before heading out to the beach for a quick walk. After a quick perusal of the sandy shore, we came back and put up the dogs and finished unpacking what we wanted for that night. We came back to the beach after dark and walked alone along a moonlit beach...moonlight shimmering on the water like liquid silver. All I could say was, “Wow”.

While we were on the beach I checked my phone to see what time it was and then I noticed that we did not have any mobile phone service here. I even stood on the observation deck of the beach house but that did not help. No mobile and no internet service. A first for me since I took the mission trip to the New Mexico mountains.

No comments: