Monday, April 21, 2008

A Good Start



After a late start, my wife and I went on a drive up the peninsula to St. Josephs Island State Park. I have only been at a few beach state parks before and enjoyed them quite a bit. This one was not all that great but it did have some nice spots. We grabbed the two geocaches in the area...both were well maintained and in good shape. When we left the park, we were hungry and decided to try a place that the owner of the beach house recommended but could not find it, so we went back towards the route we took to get to the beach house (towards Port Saint Joe) and found a local marina raw bar/grill. The food was good but pricey (come on, $14.00 for a grouper sandwich and fries?) and I figured eating out was not something we could afford to do often on this trip. We had planned on once a day, but it was looking like every other day would be pushing it.

After eating, my wife wanted to get some groceries and the local Piggly Wiggly and I noticed on my GPSr that a cache was very close by, so I grabbed it while she shopped and then I walked over to the store. $46 later (what would have been $30 back home) we headed back to grill our dinner.

The beach house had a nice if not run down, grill/smoker that I cooked hamburgers, hot dogs, and chicken on. I picked up some charcoal since lighter fluid was provided at the beach house, I figured I was set. It took a while to get the grill going, but when it finally got up to temp, it cooked very well. Charcoal is nice, but tricky and time consuming.

We finished the night off with a walk on the beach and some TV. While we have not had an “exciting” vacation so far, we really noticed that we needed the rest. Rest is good.

Oh, when did ducks start hanging out at the beach? I realize I am not the most observant person on the planet but I do not ever recall seeing ducks at the beach before.

Sorry, no pics of the them. Every time I saw them I didn't have my camera with me.

No comments: