Saturday, April 05, 2008

Franticly Seeking Cellular

Well, today has been eventful! The nice thing is I also learned a lesson: When God speaks, listen and obey.

I mowed the yard last night (as well as our MIA neighbor's, Pam) and came in tired. I watched a little TV then grabbed a shower and went to bed. I woke up this morning and had coffee and decided that I would go Geocaching in the morning before I did any housework. My wife was going to church to help clean the parsonage for the new pastor and his family. I figured that there would be enough help so I decided to follow my original plan and geocache.

Before I left I felt that God was asking me to help the women at church work on the parsonage, but I became greedy and went on to spend my time on me. That, was a mistake.

I left at 8:30 and grabbed the first cache, "Spot" at a secluded wood right off Main Street. I had my phone in the truck and thought I had lost it until I got back and noticed it clipped to my visor. I popped in the coords for the next cache, 9key's "Faceless Multination Utility Company" and started my search. I found stage one quickly and that led me to stage two, which again, I found quickly. It led me to the final...an ammo can. No problem. Wait a minute...it has a padlock on it. Where is the key? I figured the key was close by, so I looked. I found nothing so I called 9key. He did not answer (I get the feeling he is not a big phone conversation person) so I left a message. I walk back to my truck and sit down and then I figure out where the key is. So I go back and get the key and unlock the ammo can. I sign the log, put it all back in hiding and move on.

My next stop was an easy one off of North Allen Heights...it took longer to walk from the parking lot than it did to find the cute plastic owl container. I signed the log and moved on to the last two...both 9key specials.

I found "Marble Falls" quickly and even though I was on the wrong side of the creek (a rarity for me most of the time), I was able to cross because I had my combat boots on. I found the small Lock-n-Lock container, signed the log, and headed out to "Brer Rabbit's Fun Boxes".

"BRFB" was a multi stage just north of "Marble Falls". I found the jump off point and headed into the woods towards stage one. Even though I had no idea what to look for, I found the cute redirector and the clues to get me to stage two. I decided to bushwhack to stage two, but came to a creek and since I had taken off my boots, I decided not to cross it. I hiked east toward the road and then north along the road until I got directly across from stage two. I found stage two and noticed that I was missing my cell phone. I had the case still clipped to my belt, but it was empty. I began to panic and started back tracking but realized I was never going to find it. Well, I figured I was at stage two, I might as well go after the final. I eventually found the final (which was SWEET!) and then headed back, attempting to find my phone along the way. That was pretty much useless so I headed home, hoping to find my wife there so we could go back and hunt for the phone by calling it and listening.

I got home and my wife was not there so I washed the dishes and then ate. After about 1.5 hours or so she made it home so I told her what happened. She was very understanding and offered to go with me to look for it. We got ready to go and headed off to "Faceless" to see if I left the phone there. Nope. It was not there. So we headed north towards Brer Rabbit. We eventually found it thanx to my wifes keen hearing.

Lesson learned. When God tells you to do something, do it.

And, put your phone in your fanny pack!

No comments: