Sunday, April 27, 2008

A Long Drive Home

We got up early on Saturday to pack and tidy up before we dropped off the keys to the house and headed home. We had a 14-15 hour drive ahead of us and I wanted to get started as soon as possible. However, I was not going home until my wife, the dogs, and I had a final walk on the beach. We savored every minute. If I think hard enough, I can still feel the sand between my toes.

We hit the road at 9:30 AM local time. My wife asked me to drive first and I did...nine hours! I stopped for gas and bathroom breaks (and once to eat) but other than that I drove straight through from Florida to Louisiana. Once in Louisiana, I let my wife drive for a few hours (three I think) until we got into Texas, then I took over again. I really did not mind the drive until about an hour from home then I really began to feel it. Once we got home I felt much better...that is until I noticed the water leak in the master bathroom.

When we travel I close the valves to the toilets and the washing machines. I have known several people go on vacation and come back to a flooded house due to a burst hose or some other issue. We had our water leak because the valve on the toilet in the master bathroom only leaks when it is closed. I was not aware of that until we got back at midnight Saturday night when we came home to a very wet bathroom. By the time we got settled, it was 1:00 AM Sunday morning.

I got up and got ready for church but my wife was not going to leave the bathroom in the condition it was in so she stayed back and started working on it. The carpet was ruined (it was 10 years old anyway) so she removed that, the padding, the tack strips and then cleaned the area. Next will be patching the floor so it can be painted. We have concrete slab foundations here in the this part of Texas and carpet it usually placed directly on the concrete with only a layer of padding under it. Painting floors is an emergency fix when funds are tight.

I went to church and then came h0me with Chinese food for lunch. We ate that then I walked the dogs (I did not get to earlier because it was raining) and then cleaned up and put away vacation supplies. Once that was all done, it looked like it was dry enough to start mowing grass so I got dressed for that. The grass was very high and I was surprised that it had grown so much in 10 days. I finally got finished with the two yards (ours and our neighbors) just as the sun was going down. I updated her bill, checked e-mail, and took a shower. It has been a very long day...actually the past two days have been event filled...and I am tired. I think I better get to bed.

Night.

No comments: