Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Water Heater Woes

Saturday my wife tells me that their is no hot water. It is warm, but far from hot. I check it and it is lit and set where it always is, on "hot". I the turn the igniter to "pilot", turn off cold water, hook up the garden hose to the drain valve, release the pressure, and open the valve. It takes a long time, but I finally get it drained. I reverse the process and give it a couple of hours. Why did I do this? We have an 8 year old tank and during the 5 years we have lived here, we have never drained it to help get rid of the sediment.

Saturday and Sunday we have hot water. Monday evening I get the joy of bathing little man and the water is warm...not hot. Ick. Well, all I can do is check the pilot (it is on), turn it up a notch, and pray. If that does not do it...new tank time. At least we have the cash this month. Well, maybe not. I do need to get some work done to the truck (oil, trannie, rear dif fluid changes).

The cycle is never complete, is it?

1 comment:

dakboy said...

Unless this is a really bad water heater, it should have at least 2 more years left in it. 2 things to do:

#1, flush it out real well.
#2, change the anode rod while you've got it empty

With it being intermittent like this, I wouldn't put all my chips on it just being the sediment. When you refill it the last time, hang around a few minutes and make sure the burner is really going strong.

You may also want to get a water heater blanket (fiberglass insulation wrap) to help improve the efficiency, assuming that the heater can support it.

How is it that you can get away with just a rear diff fluid change? Even though you don't use your 4WD much, you should still be changing the transfer case and front diff fluids on a similar interval.