Thursday, August 17, 2006

SURPRISE (Times Three)

My second concall was a bit of a surprise...it seems that we are laying off 20 people. "Only 20" you say? That does not seem like much, does it. Considering that the 20 people are from the Windows, Unix, and LAN (Tier 1 and 2) support and the fact we only have a total of about 60 people ... that is a big number. The package / plan is supposed to be posted soon so we know what to expect. My guess is that a lot of people just are not going to care at all.

The next surprise came when some friends came over to deliver food to us. They stopped over about 7:00 or so (they called first) and brought chicken, veggies and fruit. I broke out the drinks (Fuze, bottled water, and Mike's Hard Cranberry Lemonade) and we chatted until 9:00 or so. At first I thought that it was a bit forward of them to invite themselves to join us for dinner (we had eaten, but I did not let them know that) but I soon realized these people cared for us and they just wanted to see us. As a matter of fact, they asked if they could stop by Wednesday to have pizza and chat. I had no problem with that at all.

The food they brought was the third delivered dinner in 2 days and more will come if I do not stop it. The outpouring of love they have shown my wife and I is incredible. The cards, calls, food, and flowers have really touched us!

The third and final surprise came at 10:00. We were watching an epi of "The 4400" when we heard a knock at the door. Two of the friends who had shown up earlier came back with a gift...a small Katana sword, sheath, and display stand. I was overwhelmed. I was not sure why he bothered until I remembered we came into my office and he noticed my full scale replicate of King Arthur's "Excaliber" and commented on it. I told him I loved swords and was hoping to collect a few, but smaller scaled ones would work better. I told him I just have not taken the time to get one. I think I mentioned I wanted a Katana, a Claymore, and a Roman Centurian sword. I had no idea he would rush out and buy me one!

No comments: