Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The Fallen

A couple of weeks ago when I was on vacation in WV, Knightmare Duck, Rycherox, and myself went to the grave of one of the original BSOB gang. Carp, as he was known (for his habit of fishing, swimming, and boating in a nasty river that flows through our home town), was a well liked but picked on chap who is covered in detail in my "Chronicles - Sad But True" link to the right. I had never been to his grave (neither had Rycherox), but KD had since he was a pall bearer at the funeral. Going to his grave has finally given me closure on his death. Up until then, we all kind of just thought of him as on a long vacation. Now we can get on with our lives, remembering Carp as he would want to be remembered.

I think of Carp often. Not only do I remember his antics, but I remember him as a friend who would do anything for anyone in need. Not to say that he was an angel...not by any means...but if you were his friend you were taken care of. If you ask any one of the surviving members of the BSOB gang they will tell you stories of Carp and his misadventures. Stories about his Mustang (what a piece of junk) to his step mom, "Boots" to his grandfather's "turtleback" and even his sister, who was named after a bottle of dish washing detergent (and I am not talking Dawn, either).

We have another member of the troupe who has "fallen" if rumor is true. "Stupid Bill" (see "Chronicles - Hey Stoopid!") has been MIA for several years. At one point he was living in Huntington, WV but rumor has it he ran into some trouble and moved to Georgia. He at one point was married but I am not sure if he still is. At one time I had his father's number and e-mail, but the e-mail address is not valid and I have not tried to call him. Oh well, maybe the e-mail address I found last night will be valid and SB's dad will contact me.

No comments: