Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Anarchy In The UK (And Sweden, India, Kuala Lumpur, and Costa Rica)

[Sigh]

Disclaimer: The following post is not intended to be derogatory to any technician in any of the countries mentioned. It is a just a rant on the the friggin' red tape we have to deal with daily due to corporate politics.

Why do things have to be so DIFFICULT? Yesterday right about lunch time, we get a call from the help desk asking us to run a case that the customer insists is a priority. We follow our processes and we dispatch the case to the apps team (which just happens to be another company). They hold the case for three hours and then call to tell us that it is a server/OS based issue and that our company needs to handle it. So, per the process I do a warm hand over to the server team. Over the next 5-6 hours the server team decides they cannot fix the issue because they do not have knowledge of the app. Instead of calling the apps team, the server team passes the buck.

I know this is normal in the IT world. What really angered me was the fact that the ticket included two contacts and four contact numbers...the server team failed to use any of the numbers. Instead they e-mailed the customer and waited for him to respond. I guess language could be an issue. I called the server team and I had a lot of trouble understanding the tech so I asked him to slow his speech down. What he did was talk LOUDER as well as slower (I guess I know how non-English speakers feel when we talk fast...)

Neither team was willing to reach out to the other for help. The team that manages the high priority cases (my team) is stuck in the middle.

Working as the "owner" of the IT processes and having to get multiple COMPANIES to cooperate is one tough job. It is even worse when we are on call...many sleepless nights.

No comments: