Thursday, September 20, 2007

And Now For Something Completely Different

I got into work a few minutes early today. I popped my laptop into the dock, pressed the power button and the screen came to life then went blank. The monitor, KVM switch, and laptop were all powered up. I power cycled everything (just in case), waited a few minutes and powered the things back on in the proper order and ... the same thing. My first guess was the KVM switch. It is old and does not always work very well and it tends to run hot (today it was much cooler), so I disconnected everything from the KVM switch and hooked everything to my dock. Same thing. Okay, it was not the KVM. I put my laptop in my T/L's dock (he had not arrived yet) and everything worked. Okay, it was not the laptop. I found a spare dock and hooked it up...same thing. Okay it must be the monitor or the keyboard and it turned out to be the monitor. Luckily the security guard and I are friends and he let me in my old office to snag a spare 17 inch flat panel. I hooked it all back up and I am not back in business.

I have never had a monitor act like that before.

No comments: