Monday, March 27, 2006

Weekend Recap (Geek Part at the End)

Friday night at Mickey's* went well. We ate bratwurst and chips (Papkilo and Mickey had egg salad as well. I hate eggs), drank soda and watch several hours of "Band of Brothers". It was the first I had seen of that show and I must say I enjoyed it all but the language. War is hell, I guess.

I made it home about 11:30 and my wife was in bed, but still awake. We chatted for a few minutes, prayed, and got some sleep. I slept very well, although I was stiff in the morning.

After a walking the dogs and eating a breakfast of fruit and oatmeal, my wife dropped me over to Jimmy's* house to begin my first ever martial arts practice. There were two other students there, a teenage girl who is a black belt and a late 20's-early 30's Latino man who looked like he could handle himself well. The class went well and learned quite a bit that I am sure I will not be able to remember, but all that takes time. I was a bit sore in my legs from all the leg exercises, but my back was no worse for all the extra movement. That is not to say I was not in pain. I was, but nothing more that I normally have. After 1 hour of exercising we took a water break. Immediately after that we began the training. We learned a dozen or so ways to get out of single and double arm grabs. I was amazed on how a small person can escape a much larger opponent just by using body mechanics. The teenage girl was able to escape every time I grabbed her arm. Most impressive.

After the class was over, my wife picked me up and we went home. She picked up some sandwich stuff and she made us some very tasty roast beef and pastromi sandwiches (I had the pastromi). After chatting for a few minutes, I went outside to begin mowing grass. I needed to do both ours and our neighbor's lawn, a 3 hour job under normal circumstances. Since the grass was not very high, I was able to get it all done in about 2 hours. I was very pleased :).

After a quick shower and a few minutes rest, I started the vacuuming. I began to get very tired after the first few rooms, but I did not stop until I got the entire house done, sans the kitchen. Before I started that room (which I normally save for last), I took a 15 minute break.

After I was done with the kitchen and utility room, I fired up the grill and cooked a couple of steaks for me and my wife (she found me a bacon wrapped filet...yum). Mine took a lot longer because it was so thick, but it was done before the sides were and that was okay with me. I chased my steak down with a Shiner Bock (it really tasted good!) and my wife did the dishes while I walked the dogs.

By Saturday night, I was exhausted. I think I hit the hay at 10 or so.

Sunday was a laid back day of church, lunch with our son (who is shipping off to AIT in a week), a phone call to my mom, and a little rest. Lunch was nice, but not very efficient. We went to Ghengis Grill and it was crowded and the line to get your food was long. We did not have a whole lot of time to chat. What little time we had was good, but just not enough. We did not discuss any of our son's (reported) behavior. I wanted the time to be low key.

Peppering my time on Saturday and Sunday I read scripture (my normal morning activity), watched an episode or two of Babylon 5 and Farscape, and did some damage control on my Linux box. I tried a new desktop (XFCE) but something went wrong and X refused to start. The error was not clear to me so I tried to reinstall the video drivers, but as in all Linux driver installations, there were problems and I had to purge almost everything Nvidia from the system and reinstall the latest drivers (as well as the kernel) just to get it running again. It now runs, but the video does not seem as good as before. Tuxkart looks a little weird though the OpenGL screensavers look okay. I guess I need a better way to verify video. My video files appear to play okay, so it may be just my imagination.

It was a very busy weekend and next weekend looks about the same. Instead of martial arts, I was hoping to go help put up the carport that was supposed to be put up 2 weeks ago. AS long as the weather holds out, I may have grass to cut again and a house to vacuum as well. Oh, and on Friday, I am helping my wife at the Acquire the Fire rally in Dallas and as a treat, I get to see Pillar perform. Not a bad trade off.

*Not his real name.

No comments: