Monday, March 06, 2006

Typical Monday

Well, I am at work and it is a typical Monday. My boss is a tad stressed because a project that we are working on is not going well. It is sensitive so I cannot go into detail. All I can say is that we spent a lot of money on technology that will not perform as expected. It is not a complete waste, but it is going to throw us back several months.

I had to take a 1/2 day Friday for personal business and during that time I was included on SEVERAL e-mails regarding a SNAFU on the west coast. We have equipment that is not under warranty and we have no service contract for it either. We need 3 spare drives and they are not going to be cheap. The estimate was given for them but it required a managers OK before they could be ordered. That OK came just about an hour ago. This is bad because our help desk held on to an e-mail for a week before submitting it as a ticket for the field guys. So we could have had this a week ago, but now it is delayed.

Our dispatcher for quick response cases (not high severity, just political quick response) in Canada is on vacation this week. I am not mad at this person...we all need vacation, but it would have been nice to have some notice. I have a life as well as work to do. I guess the thing that really bothers me is that she sent the e-mail to a group of people and it appears that no one has bothered helping out. 3 came in and sat for 30 minutes before I took them and dispatched them. I am supposed to handle only the quick response for the US, help out with SOX audit prep, and work on Linux builds, but since no one responded to the quick response tickets this morning, I guess I will be busy doing other things as well. I hope the other people step up some.

I slept well last night and had no problem getting up. I only had enough coffee for 1 cup, so I added some of my wife's decaf to it so I could have my normal 2. It was not bad, just not the normal level of caffeine I am used to. It is completely my fault. I should have picked up a few things at the store last night but I go selfish and was watching some UFC matches from Spike TV. I have not seen many but I can tell you that it is intense. I can see it becoming more popular than "Professional Wresting". This is the real deal.

Hmmm...I was just told by a colleague that the auditors are here today. I better get my stuff ready!

No comments: