Friday, March 24, 2006

Health, Tournament News, and Silly Group Names

Sheesh...as if my back pain was not enough, I have to go and catch a cold. Dayquil by day, Nyquil by night and Airborn every three hours to help strengthen my immune symptoms. The first day was the worst. VERY achy and coughing my darned head off. Today I am feeling better, but of course my back is still very sore. I am beginning to get rid of my sinus congestion, but I tell you (this is gross), I did not know the human sinus cavity could hold so much snot!

Regarding my back, I have tried (called) twice to get an appointment with my back doctor, but no one there is returning my calls. I guess I am just going to have to call my PCP and see if he can help some. I need to find out what is wrong. I hate the pain. It cramps my style.

Well, my prediction came true about Duke, but one round earlier than I had anticipated. They lost to LSU last night, 62-54. I did not see the game, but the reports strengthen by observations about Duke. The relied completely on J.J. Redick and Sheldon Williams. If either of them have an off night, the game is in jeopardy. J.J. had an off night and even though Sheldon had a great night, it was not enough to hold of the balanced attack of LSU. Williams and Redick stayed at Duke their senior year hoping to get an NCAA championship and most likely go pro with that on their resume. Williams will do well in the pros, but I think J.J. will not. JMHO.

In other tourney news, Gonzaga lost to UCLA, which was a huge surprise to me. I assumed Gonzaga would make it to the Final Four. Another surprise was the WVU-Texas game. WVU refused to give up, blood and all. They wanted a shot at the brass ring and *almost* grabbed it. They lost in the final seconds by a well placed 3 at the buzzer. WVU is a national basketball power. They have done well the past 3 years. Coach Beilein has done a great job with his rag-tag group of hardwood warriors.

I was perusing the internal web pages for the company I support and noticed they are finally changing a group name that I found very unprofessional. The group "Business Unit Transmission & Transport Networks" had an acronym BUTTN (Button) but many just called them BUTT. They are changing the name to simply "Broadband Networks". Thank goodness.

They have another one that we always laugh at "Business Unit Global Services". Yep, you guessed it, BUGS. How is that for brilliant? Memorable, but silly in my opinion. However, it is not my choice, I just support them. I wish them much success.

Tonight I am going north 30 miles or so to visit my buddy Mickey*. He is having a few of the BiC's (Brothers in Christ) over for a "Band of Brothers" marathon. Many of the women are having a "slumber party" at Papakilo's place (his wife is hosting it) and he is spending the night at "Mickey's". I am going up for a few hours and then driving home. Saturday morning I am going over to Jimmy's* house to work out with him. Jimmy teaches martial arts and has offered to help me get into shape, strengthen my back, condition my body and my mind as well as teach me some discipline. I hope to pick up a few self defense tactics as well. His focus is on "soft" disables, where you strike pressure points. This causes the attacker to fall or lose all advantage when the strikes are applied. They are not meant to hurt the attacker, just disable him for a few seconds for you to get away. I figure at 40 I am mature enough to handle the responsibility.

After that, I need to mow grass and clean the house. We are way behind on that!

*Not his real name...but you knew that!

No comments: