Monday, March 06, 2006

Just Like Linux...

...only it costs more.

Leave it to Microsoft to make it "easy" to upgrade to a version of Windows with more features. Linux has been able to do that for years...and you don't have to pay more to do so. Oh how I love "apt-get".

MS will also offer 6 flavors of Windows. I guess the more flavors you have, the more you can entice people to buy your software. It is a novel concept. Apple does not sell more than one version of its OS.

I still wish they would just make the OS modular. Install the base and install and/or remove what you want until you get what you want. It works for Linux.

I have a colleague at work who's roommate works at Microsoft. That being said, he gets to see all the toys. He has Vista at home and likes it (but he is a Windows guy). He will admit that it will take quite a bit of PC horsepower to run Vista with all the bells and whistles, but he won't have any problems there. He always owns good hardware and what he does not need, he gives/sells to me.

Vista is shiny...no arguments there. Linux can be shiny as well, but it is not as stable as Windows in that department (Oh how I never thought I would actually hear myself say that). I guess the reason is that MS wants to attract people who like shiny to Windows. Shiny sells.

Most Linux guys I know have a Windows box, or at least dual boot Windows and Linux. They may not brag about it, but they do. They will tweak and play on the Windows box almost as a hobby, but will do all the serious computing on the Linux box. I cannot get rid of Windows even if I wanted to, simply because I KNOW I will need it. I cannot properly synch my PDA in Linux and two programs I use in Windows either do not run or they do not run properly under WINE in Linux. I still have not burned a CD yet in Linux. I am not sure how that will go.

I wanted to put in a plug for a good source of information online, Tux Magazine. It is designed for the new Linux user, but more seasoned users will find it interesting as well. I have read every issue so far and have not been disappointed. Check it out.

No comments: