Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Solder, SOX, Stress, and Searching

My Tech Lead (who used to be my boss a month ago) came into my office and asked me if I had ever done any soldering. I told him "no" since the one time I tried it I ruined the project. He said he would like me to give it a try and I told him that I would. He brought in most of what I needed (solder, iron, the data connectors, pliers, crimpers) and told me that he would bring the rest tomorrow (today). I wore jeans and a polo shirt, thinking that I did not want to ruin my khakis with hot solder. He said he would show me exactly what I needed to do and provided me with schematics so I would have a guide. I personally thought that was mighty nice of him. If I am shown one time how to do something and I have notes or schematics, I can *usually* get the task done. I made 20 crossover cables for him a few months ago and that was not hard, just time consuming. Well it is 1:23 CST and he still have not given me a tutorial. I hope his chow me session is better than the last one. He showed me how to make 8 pin, flat serial cables (with an RJ45 connector) but he did not show me how to get the wires lined up properly, I had to figure that out for myself. If any of you do-it-yourselfers are snubbing your nose at me, please be reminded I have never been given the opportunity to do these types of things.

My new boss (who used to be my old boss -- weird story I have blogged about before) asked me last week to help with the SOX audit coming up in 2 weeks. I have not been involved AT ALL with this prep work and I was/am a little nervous. I can do the right thing, but finding documentation and proof that we do the right thing is a lot harder. When I went with the SOX lead for direction, he told me to sit in with a group from Latin America that were visiting us this week to get the full understanding on what we need to do. That is tomorrow afternoon. How much do you want to bet that my Tech Lead will hand me the stuff tomorrow after lunch and want connectors finished before I leave?

Today started out in hi stress mode. Before I could even unlock my office door, the Incident Manager was waiting on me. We had a major issue at one of our facilities on the east coast. The NetApp was at 99% capacity and the site was having major issues. The site tech was called and he conferenced in one of the experts to help him find ways to free up space. The only problem was ... nothing could really be done. He was able to get a gig of space, but it was nowhere near enough for the demands of an R&D site running Clearcase. The tech and the expert made a decision and contacted the Unix manager to present it. During this time I had 2 reports to get out and several tickets to dispatch to the local techs, not to mention getting info for the issue on the east coast. I was just waiting for the Tech Lead to come in and ask me to start working on his connectors.

I just got a call on my mobile (which I did not know was published) for a job just a few miles south of where I live. They are building a help desk with 8-10 agents and wanted to know if I was interested. I am always interested in improving my situation. While I like the company and benefits I get, the work environment leaves a lot to be desired. Besides, building a help desk again might be fun!

No comments: