Saturday, November 05, 2005

Time to Catch Everyone Up...

We all know that I am horrible at updates, but it I doubt it will get any better any time soon. I will explain later on. Now, on with the updates.

Today: I was able to bless another person (as well as being blessed myself) be delivering PC #2 to a displaced New Orleans family. I delivered the PowerMac G4 Cube to a family in Allen, TX. She almost cried when I set it up. I think I got 2-3 hugs from here and several handshakes from her grandkids and her son. Very nice people.

Previous Week: I started my new position (this is not a promotion, unfortunately) on Tuesday. I am now assisting our Unix group with day to day activities and projects. This is something that is very foreign to me. I know almost nothing about Unix or Sun workstations or the Solaris operating system. I am somewhat familiar with Linux (a variant of Unix) thanx to my sandbox at home.

This job is going to be a challenge technically as well as from a manager/subordinate perspective. My boss and team lead both are tough cookies. Their style conflicts with mine and that will take some time on my part to adjust to. It is not anyone's fault, but the employee should adjust to the mgr's style, not vice versa. They both are very smart, but they are overworked. I do not want to slow them down, but I told them ahead of time what they were getting and they seemed ok with it then. I can learn almost anything when given the tools.

2 Weeks Ago: I went on a job interview outside my company (on my own time) for a position that did not even have a title or classification. I thought I did well, but I am sure that I must have said something wrong (I was nervous, I was a little interviewing with the Director of Help Desk Services) because I have not heard from them other than a terse, but polite e-mail and a card that was snail mailed to me.

Outside of that, nothing much has happened out of the ordinary. I have been helping my wife keep the house clean since our son moved out a month ago. I vacuum and do the dishes and she keeps the laundry and cooking caught up (plus a bazillion other things she does). I was surprised how much our son did around here.

Well, I need to go mow grass today, most likely for the last time this year.

No comments: