Tuesday, November 22, 2005

All I Want is My Truck Title...

A little over 2 years ago, my wife and I paid off the truck we bought 4 years prior. It was a confusing loan that was a home equity loan and car loan all in one. The bank holds the title to any vehicle that you are using as collateral and this held true in this case. We figured when the note was paid off, then the title would be mailed to us.


In the time that we got the loan and paid it off, we moved to Texas. 2 years after we moved here we paid off the truck and we got a letter stating our loan had been paid in full. We expected the title to show up within a few weeks.

Two years later, enter in 3 dollar a gallon gas prices and I am still driving my 5.2 litre V8 to work (30 miles round trip) each day. Time to sell the truck. I go into my office, look in the file cabinet for the truck loan paperwork, and guess what? I do not have my truck title. I look EVERYWHERE for it, but nothing. In desperation, I call the bank looking for my title. They tell me in a matter of fact (but polite voice) that the title had been mailed to the NC DMV. I am not really sure why, since they had my address (and sent me the letter telling me my loan had been paid in full). They suggested I contact the NCDMV to get a copy. Well I contacted the NCDMV and they wanted $15 for a duplicate title. Now $15 is not much, but why should I have to pay for it, when I was not responsible for getting it the
here in the first place.

The chain of events -

Nov 10, called and talked to Angela (XYZ Bank). I was calling from my cell phone and the call dropped after being on hold with for 40 minutes. I did not call back.
Nov 14, called and talked with David (XYZ Bank). He informed me that Angela took very good notes and sent out a broadcast e-mail telling the call center that if I called back to give the info she gathered. My title had been sent to the NC DMV and if I need any help in getting it to call back.
Nov 14, called TX DMV to see if they could help. Left message for someone to call me back.
Nov 17, received a call from TX DMV telling me I had to deal with NC DMV. TX DMV could not assist.
Nov 22, called Mike (XYZ bank) and he did some research and told me to call local branch of XYZ Bank. He stated that there was a note on my old account to have a copy of the title mailed there.
Nov 22, called April (XYZ local branch). She put me in charge with Barrett, who did some research and had to call me back (a total of 3 times). before he knew for sure what was going on. When he called back the last time, he stated he would be sending me a check so I could get this taken care of from my end. They have no idea where my title is.

All for the want of a vehicle title.

The funny thing about this is that my wife's car was used as collateral as well, but we got her title. maybe it was because mine was worth more :)

No comments: