Tuesday, October 25, 2005

The Gift of Blessing

When you give something to someone, who is blessed, the giver or the recipient? If Tuesday night is any indication, then the giver is the one who is blessed. Let me tell you my story...

Our church has adopted 4 family's who were evacuated from New Orleans during Katrina. One of the families has been very active seeking jobs (they are both employed now), getting in touch with disaster aid, getting their son in school and making a new home and life for them. As you can imagine, money is tight. I was asked if I would deliver a set of box springs to them on Tuesday (the only free night I had) evening. I agreed. I was wanting to meet the family and besides, I had a surprise for them.

My wife and I drive out to Frisco, Texas with the box springs, bed frame and my surprise. We called them to let them know we were coming and when we got there, I enlisted the help of their teenage son. He helped me maneuver the items up the steps. When we were done, I asked him if I could give him a present. Just as I was about to go down and get it, I notice a laptop on the table. "Oh, I see you have computer. Looks nice!", I said.

The mother replied, "It is just a loner, we cannot keep it." I smiled. "Have your son help me at my truck, I have a present for him."

We went to the truck and I told him I built him a little inexpensive computer out of donated parts. I told him it was not a power house, but it did have a DVD player, word processor and was able to surf the web, once he got internet access. His eyes got big and he and I carried it up to his room. I asked him if he new how to set it up (it was already loaded with Linspire) and he said he was sure he could. He looked very happy.

I left their apartment feeling very blessed to have been the one to deliver those items to them. I wonder how I feel when I deliver the Apple Mac G4 Cube and the other PC's (when they are finished). I hope I feel half as good as I do now.

No comments: