Sunday, October 09, 2005

Serenity and Such

Work was light the past few days and that has been a good thing. It has allowed me to remain a lot more positive than when we go full throttle 5 days a week. I would like to get into more substantial work, but I am employed and that is important.

Since our son has moved out the house has been rather quiet. Seems a bit odd not having him come home at 1 AM from work. My wife has talked to him a few times the past week, but I have only talked to him once. He has not picked up all his things and he says he does not have room for them at his place. We are waiting on him to come and get the stuff he can take (bookshelf and chest of drawers, plus the contents of his desk). He was supposed to call but has not. He has also not given us the key back so I guess I am going to have to change the locks.

We want him to get as much as he can so we can begin turning that room in to a guest room. Being forming occupied by a teen-age boy, it is filthy. It needs cleaned from top to bottom.

My wife and I (plus two other couples) went to go see "Serenity" last night. We all enjoyed it. It was very well made and according to reports, was made for less than 40 million dollars, which is very low by today's standards. There was a lot of killing and a few surprises, a couple which saddened me greatly. I will not offer any spoilers. E-mail me if you want to discuss opinions.

My wife also wants to go see "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" when it is released. Not her genre of movie, but it is a Christian story...and a good one none the less. The effects look great and the guy who did Shrek and Shrek 2 is doing this one as well. COOL!

My wife and I were invited over to a friends house for brats and such for dinner. We are supply the green beans and rolls. We like these two people a lot. They are so humble. They do not worry about "keeping up with the Jones'" at all.

I an answered an ad in the Allen Freecycle Web Board for some old computer parts and software. I wish the guy would have told me that the thing was a 486-66, was broken and FILTHY (caked on dirt). I took it only because I told him I would. I never would offer something that gross without describing it as such. I e-mailed the guy and asking him and he responded in a very vague way. Oh well. No harm. It had a few usable cables and an old video card. It is not much, but it may be of some use later on. The rest I will just take to work and recycle in our PC recycle bin. The software I will put out for someone to take if they want it.

My hip has been bothering me more and more lately. At first the pain was isolated to my hip, but now it shoots down my entire leg. The pain is so bad that I have to sit down sometimes. I need to get to the doctor and see what can be done.

I still have not heard from my estranged brother. My friend Keith saw him walking to work and offered him a ride and my brother accepted. Keith gave my brother my phone number but he has not called. I do not suspect I will here from him anytime soon. My mom says he lost yet another job. I pray for him. He is such a lost soul.

Music - I have discovered a couple of great Christian rock bands. First is Disciple. They kinda remind me of Linkin Park. Raw and energetic. Powerful lyrics.

Day of Fire is a group that I can relate to. The lead singer was in the band "Full Devil Jacket" and was your typical sex/drugs/rock and roll guy. When the tour was over and it was time to write the next album, he couldn't write anything. He was a heroin addict and a eventually found Christ. He prayed to God to make a difference in his life and to use him to make a difference in other peoples lives as well. After that prayer, the songs just erupted out of him. My favorite tracks are "Cornerstone", "Rain", and "To Fly". Good stuff.

Maybe I will post more later, but I need to call my mom and chat. I also have to put some stuff away.

No comments: