Monday, October 03, 2005

Everybody Wants Some

Money, that is. We have a rule that we live by in our home. We tithe (give 1/10 of or pay) to charity. We take care of our church first and then we see what we can give above and beyond to other charities. In the past we donated a bit of money or material items to many charities, but the problem with that was that they called, e-mailed, or snail mailed us donation requests EVERY MONTH. Some charities we only contribute to 1-2 times a year.

With all the natural disasters and the price of fuel skyrocketing, we have had to slow down our charitable giving outside our commitments to church. EVERYONE wants to collect for Katrina/Rita relief. We just cannot afford it. We want to get ourselves out of debt and it is going to be hard enough with gasoline at $3.00 a gallon and the price of natural gas expecting to double, (just in time for the cold season...glad it is not a long one here in Texas!).

I have already talked to my boss about working from home 1-2 days a week when my job role changes. I hope it does. It will save me a ton of money if I do not have to drive to work everyday. I already carpool with my wife 2 days a week and that has helped. I try not to take an out of the way trips unless they are necessary and we already have trimmed down our bills a great deal. About the only thing left to do is have my wife work full time and we do not want to do that. I like having her stress-free (ok, less stressed. No one is stress free).

Am I being unfair with my choices?

No comments: