Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Time For Me to Fly...

That is what our son said yesterday after we had finished eating dinner and finished up the dishes. Today he turned 18 and decided it was time for him to move out. Part of me is happy for him, the biggest part of me is sad.

Our son has been talking about this for a few weeks and my wife and I knew it was coming. I figured he would wait until he finish his senior year of high school and completed AIT (he is in the National Guard) before venturing out on his own, but I was wrong. My wife is very upset, but I understand why. Men and women are wired differently. Where I am disappointed, she is hurt.

Our son came by today (he is on fall break) while my wife and I were at work and packed up a large part of his stuff. He still has to get his furniture, but 95% of his small stuff is gone. We went up into the attic to get him the stuff that had saved for him (pots, pans, glasses, flatware, etc).

He left a note that he plans on coming by Thursday (again while we are at work) and picking up the rest of it. I think he is avoiding a confrontation with us, or so he believes. I have nothing derogatory to say to him...I wish him well.

He has a punch list still that he needs to do. He needs to sign up for auto insurance, health insurance, and get the cell phone switched over to his name.

As a parent, I know that we have trained him up well. The choices he makes are because of peer pressure (as far as I can tell). As a Christian MAN, he must make his own choices. The covering he had with us is gone, he is on his own. No one forced him out the door. We naturally tried to get him to reconsider, but he would have none of that.

Of course we will always be here, but the training wheels are off...he rides solo now.

No comments: