Monday, October 10, 2005

Disturbing Trend

We have had several natural disasters over the past 2 years (a tsunami, several killer hurricanes, and many devastating earthquakes). Many lives have been lost. However, a more disturbing trend has become evident in the past few days: bombs found on university campuses.

Today, and "IED" (Improvised Explosive Device) was found at UCLA and 3 explosive devices were found at Georgia Tech. You may remember that in Oklahoma, a "depressed student" blew himself up in a parking lot during a football game. I am wondering why this is not getting more coverage. The bloggers are covering it, but MSM is not. Why? Are they worried that a panic may set in and people will act irrationally?

If this is not the start of a major terrorism wave, then it will only be a matter of time. "Soft" targets are easy to hit because people just are not aware of their surroundings. When my wife and I were dating, my wife used to really get frustrated because I never had my back to a door when we went out. Library, restaurant, coffee shop...it did not matter. I would sit where I could see the door. She does not pick on me anymore. She has learned. I am positive that my awareness of my surroundings will save a life some day. I am also suspect mine will not be it. I keep having a vision of a bomb blast going off and I am between the blast and innocent bystanders. My body creates a "blast shadow" where the damage is lessoned considerably. Do I want this to happen? Absolutely not. However, I have the desire to preserve life. Sacrificing mine to save another is acceptable in my eyes.

Keep your eyes open. Our enemy wants to hurt us in the worst possible way.

No comments: