Wednesday, August 03, 2005

It is Amazing What You Can Do When You Are Pain Free

Tuesday night is Volleyball night at the old church we used to attend. When we changed churches, I never considered giving up VB since the new church does not have the facilities for it and also because I love the game.

Last night I arrived as usual and we had enough to play 4 on 4, which is my favorite way to play (6 seems like to many people to me). I helped set up the net, then I stretched and warmed up with a few sets and digs. I felt pretty good, rested, I had a good energy level (lots of B12, Taurine, and ginseng) and was pretty flexible (for me that is...I am not an overly athletic guy). Shortly after we started playing, one of the better players suggested we try a different strategy/formation (using 1 person in front,1 middle and 2 back) to see if would improve our play some. I had trouble with the idea (the front person would have the second hit (the setter) since I am not great at setting, but I came around quick enough.

At one point in the game I was playing back and the setter had set one up and yell my name, indicating that I was the one to spike it over. I ran up, got my timing and delivered a fantastic spike. When we regrouped, my team was very kind and said that I spiked that better than I have ever done before. I must say that I felt pretty good playing. Then after about an hour of play, I noticed that my hip was not hurting like it normally does after a bit of play. The meds the doc gave me were helping a good bit.

We went on to play about 6-7 games and I think we only lost 2, the second game and the fifth. At one point we became sloppy and let the opposing team score 7-8 in a row.

Without the pain in my hip and neck, I was able to cover more ground, dig at more hits, and spike much cleaner than I normally can. I hope I heal completely. The feeling of playing well (in a friendly environment, with good sportsmanship) was tremendously satisfying.

No comments: