Thursday, August 04, 2005

Coffee Talk

I am scheduled to meet my accountability partner (Ben*) at Starbuck's today after work. Yesterday was his day off (and his birthday) so we did not chat, although I did send him a short e-mail. I am not sure that we have much to "confess", but it is always good to see him. He is a very funny guy with a sarcastic wit. He is not rude, he uses sarcasm very well. He turned 49 yesterday and does not act like someone heading into his 50's soon.

Personally, I am having pretty good day. I got 7 hrs sleep last night and woke up with very little pain in my back/neck/hip. My morning walk with the dogs went well (although Maxx has regained his 'tude now that he is off HIS meds) and my coffee was almost perfect (it is hard to get it perfect when you are half asleep when you are brewing it). The only hitch this morning was with my wife, who "could not get back to sleep" and got up at 5 AM AND STARTED CLEANING THE MASTER BATHROOM. The more she cleaned, the more her positive attitude went down the drain. She was obviously heading south quickly, so I grabbed her hands and prayed for her. After I finished, I gave her a hug and left for work once I was all ready.

Once I was at work, things were rather slow. My ticket queue (there have been only 4 so far today) has been very easy, taking just a couple of minutes each to solve. I had a 8 AM meeting that went very well (and ran over 15 minutes, but that is ok) that resulted in an action item for me to type up all my notes and give them to my boss to proof.

I ate lunch at my desk, stopping long enough to talk to Paul** and see how his health has been lately. Paul has been prescribed Paxil and Wellbutrin and is not overly happy with the way it makes him feel. I am finding a bit of perverse humor in this simply because I do not think he needs the meds. What he really needs is love and a change of environment, but that is another post.

While it is now just before 3 PM Central, I only have about 1 hour or so left (I am going to cut out early to go meet Ben). Work has been slow, but a welcome change. My boss most likely will not give me any more to do since he is mired down in his weekly report and is not likely to step out of his office until it is done.

Hmmm...I just got an e-mail from my Ben asking if we are still on for coffee, so I e-mailed him back confirming the meeting. I should be able to get there at 4:30 ish or so. Now I just need to confirm which Starbucks! We have two, one on one side of the expressway and one on the other.

*Ben is not his real name.
**Paul is not his real name.

No comments: