Monday, February 11, 2008

Things Will Pick Up

Last week went mostly slow but over the weekend they did another SAP upgrade and the last time that was done we spent 2 months slogging through the aftermath. We had more critical cases each and every day...why should this upgrade be any different?

The city council meeting last Thursday was one of the most boring I have ever attended. I kept nodding off and nothing on the agenda was interesting...yawn.

Friday was more of the same...slow at work. There was one issue that was started a few days earlier, but it was complex and was only going to be worked on during European business hours, so we had little to track during our shift.

Saturday I decided I would geocache in the morning instead of the afternoon like I normally do. I had to wait until 9:30 before I could leave since my wife had people dropping stuff off at our house before 10 AM and she as not going to be home. After the drop offs, I went over to Brockdale Park, and equestrian and hiking park in Lucas,Texas. It is a long hike...9 miles round trip. I managed to get 10 of the 12 that were there. I would have gotten all 12 but 1 was a night hike and the other, which was a multi, was missing a set of clues so it was impossible to find the last stage. Bummer, since I found all three stages and the final one, which led to the cache, was missing the coordinates for the final stage. Nonetheless it was a nice 5+ mile hike. I got home about 3 PM.

I vacuumed half the house when I got back and then helped my wife install some window film in the living room. The film my wife chose blocks large amounts of UV and heat. It also is hard to see through unless there is light on in the house. It is tricky to work with but worth the results.

Sunday we went to church as usual. There was a guest speaker who had a great message on unity that really hit home with many of us. We grabbed a couple of bagels with cream cheese for lunch and then stopped by Target to get a bathroom squeegee to replace a ripped one. On the way back we saw an SUV or a van that had flipped over on 75 North...we could not ell if anyone was inside but I did not see any that looked hurt.

After we got home I decided to go place a few geocaches. While I was out I found one that had been recently revived. It was not hard but it was in a very busy area.

I got to work right on time (for me...10 minutes early) and checked the threat board to see what needed to be handled. All was well, then my boss called me to tell me one of the guys (whom he backs up) has a family emergency and will not be able to do his job and my boss wanted to know if I would do t for him...on top of my regular duties. I told him no as politely as I I could. My colleague was not in yet and since we have to drop what we are doing to work on critical issues, I would not be able to do the other guys job. While he was not happy, I think he understood.

I am not going to try to do both jobs. First, it is not possible and all it will do is set me up to fail. Second, my boss the that other guy's backup...not me. Besides, we are going to get busy with the fallout from the weekends changes and I do not have time for problems caused by another group.

No comments: