Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Workaholic and Maybe I Expect Too Much Sometimes

My wife...I love her so much, but she is such a workaholic around the house. Maybe not so much a workaholic as much as a perfectionist. Yesterday she did not work (She works Tuesdays and Thursdays) but she had plans to clean a bit and do a few loads of laundry. Knowing my wife as I do, I told her that I wanted her to pace herself and set her goals low. I wanted her to have all she wanted to do finished by 4 PM. I only said 4 because she insisted on cooking dinner and 1 hour would be enough for her to prepare it.

I called her at 4 PM or so to check up on he and she told me she was "almost finished". I began to panic but I did not let it show. She asked me to stop at the store on the way home to get a few things. I told her I would but I was not very hungry (thanx to a last minute birthday feast at work). She said that was ok...she could skip cooking dinner because she was exhausted.

I got home and heard the vacuum cleaner running in our bedroom. I took of my shoes and walked in and saw our bedroom complete disassembled. The mattress and box springs were off the frame and leaning against the wall, blocking our closet door. We have a queen sized bed and for my wife to do this was a huge feat.

I come to find out that my wife in the 9 hours I was gone had completed 3 loads of clothes, went to the gym for an hour, dissected our bedroom, cleaned every surface / item in that room (knick knacks, corners, etc...EVERYTHING), took a 45 minute nap, and did an hours work of administrivia for church. She did this PLUS did the normal dog routine (brush teeth, meds, short walk), sorted the mail, and made a few phone calls. I was very upset because this is what my wife does. She works herself to death.

I finally got her to finish last night just as "24" was coming on. We were both in bed by 10 PM. Of course we both got up at 5 AM, it is now 7:20 and she is still not ready for work (although she is very close). We car pool on Tuesdays and Thursdays to save money and it has helped. I am spending 1/2 the money on gas for the Dakota than I was 6-8 months ago.

I am going to add another post today about a couple of blessings we received. They may be short lived, but I am going to be thankful to all mighty God for them nonetheless.

No comments: