Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Faith vs. Fact

Recently a couple of co-workers and I got into a little discussion/debate on faith. I work with a lot of secular, non-Christian people, many agnostic, and some atheist so these discussions are not usually long, nor pleasant. They do however help me find out what people in "the real world" think about matters of faith. My conclusion is that they cannot understand the concept. While I offer as much info as I can, I cannot force a person to have faith. The best I can do is live by my faith and hope that the seeds I plant will eventually germinate.

Now I will be the first to admit that I do not agree 100% with the teachings of those in our church. I have some ideas that are not popular with some of the pastoral staff, elders, and senior members of our church. I do not push my ideas, but I will voice them if asked or the subject comes up. One of those opinions is that fact negates faith. I do not "know" that God exists, but I have a tremendous amount of faith (as well as some evidence) that he does. I do not know that he will answer my prayers, but I have faith that he will do what is best for me. It is a fact that electricity exists. I know for a fact that it will power my devices at that house. I take it for granted that when I press the PC power switch, the PC will turn on. I know it will because of the things that I know are true. If I knew God existed, then I may take him for granted and just assume he will do what I expect he will.

I think we try to put to much human logic into our world. We want to think that God will use our definition of logic to further His Kingdom. When someone does something that they feel God is calling them to do and we do not think it is logical, we scoff. We do not take it in faith. I am one of the biggest offenders in that area. I am always looking for a more logical way of doing things. It may be to save time, multitasking, make something easier, or it may be an OC (obsessive-compulsive) thing. My wife may do something very considerate but I fail to see the logic in it. My wife is very much in tune with God. He speaks and she usually listens. I am not as in tune as she is, but when I feel God moving me to do something, I usually am pretty passionate in following through.

I have faith in a lot of things I cannot prove. Some theologians may beg to differ and point out things that prove things about God, but I am happy in knowing that I have a faith in a higher power who guides my life. All that happens, happens for a reason. I can chose to do other things, but ultimately, God wins.

Can I prove this? No, I just take it in faith.

No comments: