Friday, February 10, 2006

Some Degree of Success

My punch list yesterday as gotten a bit shorter:

* Ability to share data between HD's (Complete)
* Ability to synch my Palm T|E and install Palm software (WIP)
* Configure WINE to run AceMoney (99% Complete)
* Find a good HTML editor (Complete)
* Test USB drive (Complete)
* Test card reader (Complete)
* Import all of my data (bookmarks, e-mail addresses, e-mails, etc) (WIP)
* Configure Analog for Linux to analyze my web logs (50% Complete)

I had less on my "E:\" drive (/dev/SDA1) had less data on it than I though, so temporarily moving it to "F:\" (/dev/SDA5) was not a problem. I formatted it FAT32 from Linux and set my /etc/fstab to allow me to read and write to it. I eventually placed any file that I would need to access from BOTH Windows and Linux (sans the video files...I did not have enough room for them) on /dev/SDA1 and left all the Windows only (and video) files on /dev/SDA5.

I did not bother messing with the PDA since I knew that would be a big job and I did not have the time after moving all the files around. Will save that for last most likely. I did install Evolution, but I am not sure what proggie I want to synch to, Thunderbird or Evolution.

I configured WINE and configured/ran AceMoney but ran into a snag. In WINE, AceMoney will not sort the columns. This is a big problem for me and I have a few options: Find a way to fix it, find a new program in Linux that will allow me to import the AceMoney data, run it from Windows, or live with the problem. This is one I want to solve soon.

For the HTML editor, I chose Bluefish. I played with it a little, but I do not know if it is a keeper yet. I also installed NVU for the WYSIWYG stuff. I have used it before and it does an OK job as a WYSIWYG editor.

The USB drive and the card reader both worked perfectly as far as I could tell. I just need to learn how to unmount them properly. I am sure it is easy, I just need to learn how :)

I imported all of my bookmarks but have not started on addresses or mail yet since I do not know what client I will use. I am thinking Evolution may do the trick but having Thunderbird handle all my mail, news and PIM functionality is very appealing.

I downloaded and installed Analog to analyze my web sites logs, but did not configure it all the way. I copied over my config file I use in Windows but I need to change some of the settings to reflect Linux.

All in all things went well. I was up too late (11:30 PM or so) and got up at 5 AM, but I am not tired. I have been busy, but that is for the next update.

No comments: