Sunday, February 12, 2006

At Least I Know Why

I have been trying to synch my Palm Tungsten E with my new Linux box and I wondered why I have been having trouble...and now I know. It is a know bug with Linux synching software. I have the Palm photo software on the T|E and the file is a compressed in ROM and decompressed when ran, which exceeds the file size allowed by the Linux software. OK all you PC fans, you have one on us Linux geeks. I will even give you another...

Linux does not have a very good selection of business software. I was doing a run through the today and figured out that my PC invoicing software, XS-Invoicing does not have a Linux version and I *really* like XS-Invoicing, so I will need to do that in Windows as well.

My punch list:

* Ability to synch my Palm T|E and install Palm software (Arrggh...)
* Import all of my data (bookmarks, e-mail addresses, e-mails, etc) (WIP)
* Configure XS-Invoicing to run under WINE or find a good replacement

The Palm synching issue will not be resolved soon, so I will be forced to use Windows for that.

I have imported all my bookmarks, all my mail and some of my e-mail addresses. I have some in my PDA and some in Thunderbird. The ones in T-Bird were easy to import. The ones in my PDA are going to be harder because I have not been uniform in my field mappings on my PDA. For example, if I have 4 fields for contact info, sometimes I use the first field for e-mail addresses and sometimes I use it for phone numbers. Importing this makes a mess, so I have to go and clean up the field mappings before I can export from Palm Desktop and import it into T-Bird. This has been work. Too bad that Palm does not make a version of Palm Desktop for Linux. I am pretty sure it will not run well in WINE, due the way each OS handles USB.

If XS-Invoicing will run under WINE, I may be in good shape. I will have to give it a try.

No comments: