Tuesday, February 07, 2006

I Hope We Are Not Like That

I am sure that you have heard about the cartoonists who drew political cartoons that have greatly upset the Muslim population. When I first read about the incident, I said to myself, "Dangerous game you are playing...free speech or not". I knew it would not be received well, but I never thought it would have the effect it is having WORLDWIDE. Contests are being created in retaliation, threats of MURDER on ANYONE from a nation that has posted the offending cartoons, riots, hate mail, and the list goes on.

I sincerely hope that Christians never react that way. When TV networks create shows that mock Christian beliefs (The Book of Daniel, Will and Grace mocking the Crucifixion, etc), we get upset but we respond properly with cards, calls, letters, e-mails, and boycotts to resolve our grievances. I cannot imagine Jesse Jackson or James Dobson calling for Christians to butcher the TV executives the shows airs that offends us.

I cannot tell you how many times I have seen things on the web that mock Christianity and I have never once wanted to harm the person who posted those comments or opinions. Violence for the sake of religion is antiquated. It was wrong during the Crusades, it was wrong 20 years ago in Ireland, and it is wrong now.

I do not understand why it is okay for people to mock Christianity and not other religions. Each religion believes they are they only true path. Why should anyone be allowed to mock ANY religion? Keep your negative opinions in your own circle. Do not bring your biases and prejudices into my world.

We are thin-skinned and we do not like it when we get our feelings hurt. I know that when I get challenged about my faith, there are times it hurts. However, most of the time I just feel sorry that the person is ignorant enough to say the things that make them look stupid. I do not mind that you do not share my faith, but do not mock my God. I do not mock yours. I do not agree with your beliefs, but I will respect them. If everyone were to do this then we all might learn something.

No comments: