Friday, February 10, 2006

Non-Computer Update

Yesterday, 5 minutes before our weekly team meeting, we received an e-mail announcing that we have a new manager. My old manager is stepping up to manage my group, our manager is stepping into the technical lead position, and our old tech lead is moving into a purely technical position. Wow. I was very surprised. This is interesting because:

The old manager was not strong in many areas that you associate with managers, our new manager is.
The old Team Lead did not want to be in a role of authority and his replacement will have less responsibilities as a supervisor.

Interesting.

Last night I received an e-mail from an old friend in NC who will be in North Central Texas next week. We are meeting Tuesday evening, hopefully to have dinner. It will be nice to see him again. He is a Christian brother who is recently discover how good modern Christian music can be. He is a now a fan of Jeremy Camp.

I have been dispatching "quick response calls" the past two days for Canada. I normally only do them for the US and South America, but the regular dispatchers are in training and needed a hand. So far not too bad. I do not enjoy it, but at least I am busy.

We had a last minute project thrown at us that has taken more of my time than I would like but that is par for the course around here. We built a Linux server that needed to be shipped to NC and installed today. That was a problem because I did not have any relative information to give the local support group until about 8 AM this morning, and it is going to arrive at 9:30 my time. Looking at the clock on my Gnome desktop, I see it is past that time so I hope it has been delivered. I am the contact point and I hope it goes well. Logistics have been a problem, but the part the tech has to perform is a "milk run". All he has to do is show up, sign in, get the box, take it to the room where it will be set up, unbox it, hook up the LAN and power cables and turn it on. Then he locks the door behind him and checks out with Security. Easy enough, but many times easy projects cause the most problems. I guess once 10:30 our time rolls around, I will know for sure.

Pray for me!

No comments: