Sunday, February 26, 2006

Sunday Evening -- Coda

The weekend is all but over. It has been a full and busy weekend and I am tired. Nonetheless, I am not really looking forward to work. My new project (plus my old obligations) is not something I am going to enjoy. I will however pray that God blesses me with knowledge, patience, perseverance, and wisdom for the upcoming task.

Friday I attended the wedding shower for a couple we know from church. It was small, low key and quaint. I chatted and visited with a few and we went home. My back bothered me some but I think that the Feldene I have been taking has had some effect. God appears to be answering prayers.

Saturday my wife dropped me off at church for the men's breakfast. I fellowshipped with several men as well as discussed some business. The man who I was mentoring in 1 to 1 Discipling wanted to buy my truck...in cash but I had to turn him down. We still are paying off the van and cannot afford to go to one vehicle with the both of us working.

After the breakfast, we helped Mickey and Mary* move into their new home 30 minutes north of us. While it has very few frills, it will make a great home for them. I am so happy that they are finally out of the townhouse. They were miserable there! The move went rather well with about 12 people showing up to assist. It took 2 trips and about 6 hours, but we got it all done. I was not allowed to lift much, but I did help hook up the TV, DVD/VCR, and the satellite dish. At least I could do something. Mickey is going to give me some old computer equipment when he gets it all sorted out. After my wife and I got home she wanted to check her e-mail, so I watched Battlestar Galactica. There are only 2 more episodes this season. I think it is going to end in style.

Wife wife soon went to bed and I took the next 34 hours trying to figure out where I screwed up our checkbook. There was a $200 difference between what I thought we had and what the bank was reporting. The bank was right. I found two, $100 errors I had made. Doh!

Sunday was the usual church routine with our newest members of the praise and worship band performing. They did a great job and played one of my favorite songs, "Agnus Dei". Third Day does a version that is inspiring. While I was listening to the pre-worship music, I noticed a couple who live in our neighborhood had shown up. I invited them to sit with us and we chatted. June* had been there before but her husband, Chaz* had not. They seemed to enjoy themselves. After service my wife invited one of her older friends to lunch with us. At first I thought it was going to be a disaster. The line was long, the wait for the food was longer, and Darlene's* sandwich was soggy. My only guess was they made the sandwich and had to wait on our baked potatoes. Darlene did not seem to mind much, but I still felt bad.

After lunch I went to the church to help install some PC's in the preschool rooms. There were only three but the Bill* wanted the help, so I offered. It did not take long, but the machines were not great. They were old Pentiums (133, 450, and 733 mhz) donated from friends and church members. I thought my 400 mhz Celeron server was ancient, but it is a rocket compared to one of those!

I got home and my wife was getting ready to go walk the dogs at the dog park, so I watched the play by play of the UNC-Maryland game (GO HEELS!) then the movie, "A History of Violence". It had potential, but it was a tad too twisted for me. After the movie was over my wife came home and I unload the groceries out of the van and had a quick simple dinner of cheese and crackers. I was not very hungry. With all the regular duties out of the way, my wife decided to watch TV and I watched a couple of episodes of Babylon 5. Season two is pretty good so far.

The Linux box (with new Nvidia drivers) seems to be running flawlessly. Several hours on and playing full screen video has not caused X to crash at all. Hoo-ah!

Well, I am going to get some shut eye. While we did not do much around here this weekend, I am tired nonetheless.

* Not their real names.

No comments: