Friday, February 17, 2006

Tax Time, Brat Time, Repotting Time.

I finalize our taxes for 2005 last night. I had them completed about a week or two ago, but I wanted to make sure we had all of our paperwork. I am pretty sure we have it all now and if not, oh well, I can always amend them :)

We received less this year than we did last year for a couple of reasons. We gave more to charity last year (we donated a 1992 Honda that was in fair condition) and I could not claim my son on this years taxes (he made enough to keep me from claim him). No big deal. It would be nice to have that extra $1000 we got last year, but I am just happy I do not owe. I am pretty good at refunds. This year that money goes towards new living room furniture.

My wife spent last night repotting plants. It would not have been so bad, but the temperature dropped 40 degrees in less than 24 hours and that made repotting uncomfortable. I repotted my mango plant. The roots were not as big as I thought, but I was told to pinch off an inch or so off each one, to help it grow better. The new pot is a cobalt blue and is stoneware. Much nicer than the cheap plastic one it was in before.

Tonight I am supposed to go over to *Mickey's apartment for a "man's night". The only problem is that the wives will be there as well. Not that I don't want my wife there...no not at all. The original plan was for the women to have a "slumber party" and some of the guys were going to have a "Band of Brothers" marathon, but the slumber party was cancelled. That means some of the women will be over at "Mickey" and his wife's apartment. It is a small apartment and it is going to be crowded. Before I go I have to go to Sam's club and pick up a Rotisserie chicken and some buns for the bratwurst we are having.

I am happy to say that tonight is the last night I have to wear my back brace. I wore it 4 weeks (per doctors orders) and I will be so glad to get this off! My incision is still a bit sore, but I think that is because the brace is a bit too big for me. I made the mistake of keeping it too loose when I sleep and it has gotten twisted up a few times. When I woke up, I had to twist it back into place and cinch it up. I have been wearing it 23.5 hours a day for a month. The only time it comes off is when I shower.

I think I failed to mention that "Mickey" and his wife were approved for the house and they close on it Monday. I am so happy for them. They have been living in an apartment for over a year and they really have not enjoyed it at all. The neighbors loud and cruise the lot like it is some barrio / ghetto, which it is not. Our Care group has been praying for them for a while now and it is nice to see that their prayers have been answered. The only bad thing about them moving is that they will be 30 minutes away instead of 5. They are moving 3 towns north of us, a bit further out in the country, but still in a housing development.

I got a call from *Aaron, another of my Christian brothers at church, asking me if I could help him with a Windows printing issue he is having. It is not your run of the mill issue at all. He is a Unix guy who is trying to configure his Arch Linux box to act as a print server for his wife's laptop. SAMBA is giving him a hard time, so I told him to try mapping to the Linux box on port 631 (I think that is the port, but he can look it up) from CUPS. Samba printing has been flaky sometimes and CUPS may be more stable. He offered to pay me, but I do not like taking money from church family unless they insist or would be offended. Besides, he knows more about Linux than I do.

I see from the clock on the wall that it is almost quitting time. Not that there was much to do today. Lately there has been VERY little to do for me. Other people have a lot to do but there work is specialized enough that I cannot help them. I offered, but I knew it was in vain.


*Not their real names.

No comments: