Monday, March 03, 2008

Washout

I guess it was time for Texas to get a good hard rain again. I woke up this morning to the sound of thunder as well as rain pelting the roof and the windows. it was bad enough that my wife did not want me to even walk the dogs. She knew that they would not want to be outside while it was pouring so she waited until it subsided and she took them out for quick walk. I was getting ready for work while she took care of the dog walking ths morning. I guess I owe her some flowers for that.

I am off call and will not have to go back for another month...just in time for quarterly close, one of the busiest times of the year.

Call was not too bad this time. Yes I was woken up a couple of times at 2 AM for issues beyond my realm of authority and I did get a few calls this weekend asking me about maintenance going on, but overall it was doable.

I did sneak out for a little while to try to find a couple of puzzle caches that were local to us. I struck out on both but for different reasons on each. the first one required a bit of waypoint projection, something my older GPSr cannot do, so I solved the puzzle and e-mailed the owner my info to prove to him that I can do the hard part and he agreed to mail me the coords so I can look for it.. I mena, I know the general area and worked out all the math/puzzle stuff correctly, but without a proper GPSr, finding it would be rather time consuming...especially since it is supposed to be well hidden.

The second one I looked for has been muggled. That was really sad since it has been active for about five years now. I have put it off for a long time because of the perceived driving needed to solve the clues, but I was incorrect as in the clues were all within a few miles of each other. I solved the clues and went to the final one and figured out the cache was missing. I called Tizom to verify that I had the right locale and he confirmed it. Not only was I unable to find it, several other season cachers who have put this one off were unable to find it as well. I hate to see this icon go but maybe it is time to archive it.

No comments: