Thursday, December 29, 2005

Work is Slow, and TV Still Sucks

I only work Thursday and Friday this week and so far (I have been here about 4 hours) it has been very slow. Not many people are here most took the week off. I could have taken off as well, I guess, but why? I can save my vacation for next year and have a good time.

I have caught up on all I wanted to do, except one more on-line training class. I tried to log on to it, but it is down and support is only for critical items. Feh. Whatever. At least I am not home painting with my wife. She is very meticulous and I am not, not to mention I do not like to paint. She is doing the trim, which is oil based. It smells and is not fun to be near. Did I mention I hate to paint?

My time off from work has been OK. I cooked some etouffee for our minister and his wife yesterday. His father passed away a couple of days ago and we wanted to do something. The graveside service was this morning, but I do not go to those. We did not go to the memorial last night. I was not really feeling up to it and my wife was not feeling overly well either.

Other than cooking, the only thing I did was grocery shop. I really do not do it enough to be quick about it, but I got through it. By the time I was finished, my leg was killing me. I avoid the pain pills as much as I can, but I took one a couple of days ago when I was on my feet for a very long time. I think I have taken 5 or so and have had the prescription for 3 weeks.

The past couple of days we have been plagued with an incredibly annoying flapping noise coming from the bathroom exhaust fan. Come to find out the vent flap is being moved by a volume of air being moved around the attic by the turbine vents. When it is windy outside, the turbines turn and cool the attic which in turn blows air back to the exhaust vent. The flapper is supposed to be one-way, but it is not working like that. I am not sure why it just started, we have had the turbine vents for at least 3 years and it is always windy here. I think it was stuck in the open position and recently freed itself. I am not sure what to do, since cool air from the attic is flooding the bathroom and of course in the summer, hot air will flood the bathroom. I removed the flapper since the constant squeaking of is worse than the cold air. Of course I removed this at 10:30 last night while my wife was trying to sleep.

TV has been a bust the past 2 weeks, which makes me happy I am not a TV person. With shows like this occupying the airwaves, can you see why I keep the TV off most of the time? I think that I should be able to stream the shows I want to see "on demand" just like digital cable subscribers can. I do not need access to all the channels all the time, just as I need/want them.

My back is not getting any better (to tell the truth I think it is getting worse) and I called and left a message with my back doctor. He was in surgery all week and his nurse was out on vacation. I was told I would get a call back. I hope so. As much as it kills me to say this, I think I am going to have the surgery. Pills and exercise are only temporary and once I have the operation, I am going to take very good care of what is left of my back.

No comments: