Thursday, December 08, 2005

Morning Fun

Being the FNG (Friggin' New Guy) on the UNIX team, I am not going to get the prime assignments. Heck, I do not even have root access, so with the way we are set up, I am limited on what I can do. On any given day I will monitor our ticket queue, send out reports on cases that need attention, compile stats on previous weeks / months performance, answer the phone, check e-mail, do research on the web for my boss, etc. In any spare time I have, I do some online training in Solaris and Linux. Online training gets a bit old after a while and it is much more interesting when I can SSH into my Linux box at home, here from work to practice the root stuff. I have not been doing that lately because my Linux box's power supply died and the replacement is louder than the failed one. It stays off quite a bit.

Yesterday the weather turned cold and we had some freezing rain. The precip froze and it has not gotten above freezing to melt. It got down to 18 F last night and is expected to get down to 11 tonight. That is cold for Texas.

The drive home was a bit tricky and our short journey to our care group meeting was entertaining, but not bad. This morning our drive to work was at 20-30 mph top speed (depending on road conditions) and I was one of 3 people to make it by 10 AM (we got here at 8:15). At 11 AM or so most people showed up. One guy just left, so my guess is that we are working a half day today.

When I got in, we had 3 tickets for a database server in our queue. 3 tickets, one db server. I figured if it is getting that much attention, then I need to up the severity and call in help. To make a long story short, my TL walked me through restarting services on the Solaris 450 server. All 3 tickets are closed, I am eating lunch and the day may be more normal now.

I read this story earlier. While I understand the lynching comment, why is it so wrong to pick on Santa when we Christians have to tolerate people pick on our beliefs? I am running out of checks to turn...

No comments: