Friday, September 16, 2005

NBC Goes After the Church Crowd

It looks like NBC is going after the church going crowd with its latest reality show. "Three Wishes" is the name of the latest offering in the reality show arena. Amy Grant is a host who travels to a different town each week helping needy rural people fulfill wishes. I guess it is better than some of the other programming, but it is still reality TV.

I like this idea to a degree, but I see problems with ANY reality show. As I tell my wife, I get enough reality in real life. Why watch it on TV?

It is good that the Christian faction will be getting some positive face time in prime time, however exploitation is going to be a factor. Offer the poor something for free and they will be quick to snap it up like a dying man in the desert after water.

TV has been losing ground with many people. While we have cable, we have the entry level programming that has about 30 channels for $15. We only keep it to keep the broadband connection and as soon as I can find a high speed alternative (we do not have a home phone so DSL is out) we will be dumping the cable company for good. Cable programming is horrid. Our society is reduced to watching "Desperate Housewives" and "Sex in the City". Many find it entertaining, while people like myself do not. I admit I enjoy some programming (Firefly, Law and Order, and 24 just to name a few) but I do not enjoy much of it.

1 comment:

Malori said...

I cannot stand reality TV either. The other night I was hanging out with my friends in one of the dorm lounges, and they were watching this really stupid show on MTV called "Sweet 16," which was about these bratty girls who had these parties when they turned 16. Everything about it was disgusting: their clothes, their attitudes, the party itself. Finally I was like, "I can't take any more of this" and walked out. To me, your brain is just rotting while you sit there wasting your life. And I also think those kinds of shows are occasions of sin, especially for guys because of what the women wear!! Even though there's cable here in the dorms, I have only sat down and watched it once (besides the reality tv experience), when Pres. Bush was speaking to the people of New Orleans yesterday. That's it! I have much better things to do with my time.