Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Hurricane Pain

Hurricane Rita is currently a Level 4 storm (***UPDATE*** Level 5 at 5:32 PM Central time), heading for Galveston, TX. I previously blogged that Galveston was hit a little more than 100 years ago and the town was almost obliterated. At least 6K people died then. Needless to say Texans learn very quickly. With Rita chugging at a good click towards our coast, the town is evacuating. Smart move, methinks. I pray for the best, but it looks like thing may get ugly. New Orleans is expecting some surge which may top the levees and pour more water back into the city.

Yesterday my wife and I were talking about the humanitarian efforts going on for the Katrina victims. We have friends of ours who are sponsoring a family (a mother and 3 children) and they have offered to find her things for the apartment that has been acquired for them. Something odd, in my opinion, is that she has not expressed any desire to move into it. She is still staying at the Super 8 Motel, living off the $2000 debit card she was issued from the federal government.

Our friends also have acquired a twin bed for her (along with pillows, sheets, blankets, and comforter) but she stated she did not want it. It was too small. Someone is offering you a bed and all the accessories and you are turning it down because it is too small? You know why it is too small? She has her boyfriend living with her.

We also received some documentation on helping some of the families who are still in ravaged areas of the gulf who need some food and supplies. When I saw this I was a bit confused by it. It outlined what to put in the boxes (as well as what size box) and how to pack it. Now, that is not a bad thing, for the most part, since you do not want 50 million cans of green beans some rice with nothing else. This allows the boxes to be self contained meals, but I had two problems with that. First, it would make more sense to give money so the items could be bought in bulk by the Red Cross or some other organization and packaged up into individual meal packs. There are volunteers EVERYWHERE who would be glad to package up this in a warehouse style environment.

The second thing that bothered me was the list had preferred brands and types of food. If I am hungry, but used to living on crusty French bread, caviar, champagne and I was offered chili, rice, cornbread and sweet tea, I would take what I could get or I would starve. Being picky when you are hungry ... that is just plain stupid.

We have been hearing scattered reports of people who are taking their $2000 debit cards and buying frivolous things (expensive watches, clothes, electronics) and going to shelters to get fed and clothed. It reminds me of the painful years when my son was an infant and we (me, his bio-mom, and our son) were on food stamps. We did not get much (it was about $300 a month) but since we were good shoppers, we knew how to make it count. I would get in line at the local grocery store and see people buy LOBSTER, STEAK, and other expensive items and pay with food stamps. They figured if they were not paying for it, they could get what they wanted.

I know as Christians we are not supposed to grumble and we are supposed to give cheerfully. But are we not told to be good stewards of what we have? How can we be good stewards if what we give is used in vain? It will only turn off Christians from wanting to help because they image they have is one of people who need help, it is offered and the help is misused.

Lord, help me to understand this. I want to live in Your Word, but the world distracts me from it. Guide me and give unto me the desire to help those who need it and tell of Your Son's redeeming love.

No comments: