Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Can a Homosexual Be A Christian?

Before you answer yes or no, I would like you to think about something. I will not attempt to change your mind, but I would like to offer you something to think about.

Homosexuality is a sin, I think that most Christians agree on that. While is is not in the Ten Commandments, we have some scripture that says it is not something God approves of:

Leviticus 18:22 - Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable.

Leviticus 20:13 - If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

I Corinthians 6:9 - Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders.

Romans 1:26-27 - Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. (27) In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.

Both the old testament and new testaments speak against it. Ok, it is a sin. Are they going to Hell? Do not answer that. Read on.

It has been stated that abominable in God's eyes. Greed, sloth, gluttony, murder, adultery, etc are all sins. All equal in God's eyes.

Sins are forgiven if we repent, if we ask for forgiveness. Christians sin all the time. Not always purposely, but we do.wello are wel all going to Hell?

Is homosexuality "just another sin"? Now before people start talking (and that would be the sin of gossip) I am not making any sort of statement about me, my family or anyone I know. I am curious. We have gay ministers and gay parishioners, are they condemned to Hell?

Personally, I am not 100% sure. I know we are called to love every sinner. If we do not love the homosexual sinner, are we ignoring Christ's charge to us? If we condemn them, are we being hypocrites?

I do not have the answers. I have considered both sides of this. I have considered that, as humans, we tend to place sin on a sliding scale. Lying is not as bad as adultery which is not as bad as homosexual behavior or what ever sliding scale you THINK works. It boggles the mind. I do not know what is right, I only know how I feel. I do not believe that homosexual behavior is natural. I realize this is bigoted but I am not going to lie about the way I feel.

1 comment:

Malori said...

Yes, I think that people that are homosexual have a serious problem, and it is sinful. However, we still need to love them as children of God. By saying this I am in no way approving homosexuality (I am completely against it!!), but just that we shouldn't judge someone that is like that because it is not our place to judge and only God knows a person's heart.