Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Drive By...

Several years ago, back in the early days of instant messaging (back when PowWow and ICQ were the ONLY cool IM tools), it was common to get a random IM from someone you had never heard of. We called those "Drive By IM's". Some were cool, some were funny, some were down right offensive. I met a few people that way, but most people who send unsolicited instant messages are just kids. Maybe they are bored, maybe they just want to provoke, maybe they really wanted to meet new people. Who knows?

I have gotten a few drive by's in my life, but thankfully I don't get many of those any more. I have gotten one or two, but not like the bad old days. Still, it has been enough to keep me from posting my IM info on message boards.

A while back, I had blogged that at least one person has gotten an IM from someone who spoofed my IM nick. "Out of Balance" (the guy who said he got the IM) has not contacted me anymore, so I assume that the perp found no humor in sending "OoB" an instant message pretending to be me.

I got an IM today from someone claiming to be "Flute", but since I know that she is only interested in disparaging to my faith, I doubt it was her. What could she want to chat with me about?

Anyhoooo...I just deleted the message. Whoever the joker is can have their laugh. I won't fall for being baited. My name is not "Skippy".

No comments: