Sunday, September 18, 2005

Invasion of the Monster Insects

Yesterday was a pretty good day in most aspects. All the chores we wanted to do were completed. The day before I fasted and prayed in honor of the National Day of Prayer designated by President Bush, so I was rather hungry and thirsty most of the day.

I put a few items up in the Freecycle page for our town and part of the items were picked up quickly. I was very thankful for that. I had 3 items (a lamp, a radio, and some house plants) offered and the houseplants were picked up within a few hours. Freecycle is way cool.

Later on in the evening, my wife started to trim/groom the dogs on the patio, since it was tolerable. She set out all of her equipment and began. I was in the office typing up a budget for our son so he will have something he can go by when he decided to move out on his own. He is almost 18 and has expressed a desire to be on his own. I cautioned him, but hey, he is 18...he knows it all :-).

When I completed it, I wanted to show my wife, but she was at a delicate point in the dog grooming, so I waited until she release Maggie, the biggest dog. I stepped out any my wife told me, "El Gee, there is a HUGE bug in the crack between the patio and the wall. It is weird looking with a black head and a brown body. It looks like something you would see on the Sci Fi Channel."

I was planning on spraying some of the FIRE ant mounds that have popped up over the past few weeks, so I figured spraying for some alien bug would be no problem. Before I sprayed for it, my wife and I heard a noise similar to a cricket. My wife said, "THAT'S IT. That is the sound it makes before it comes out. I cracked jokes about my wife's description of the insect for a while and when she was done grooming I sprayed the crack with a heavy dose of bug killer. Die, insect, die.

Then I put away the spray and went inside to wash up. I started to head back outside and a HUGE cricket started stumbling around on the patio. He had just came out of the crack. My wife said, "That's the bug!"
"Honey, that is a cricket."
"Oh...it did not look like one when I saw it...but I guess you are right."
Monster Insect. Please. :-)

Before I sprayed for the killer alien insect, I sprayed the FIRE ant mounds. I was not fast enough and one bit me. I have a rather extreme reaction to fire ant bites. The bite swells up, it burns like fire for hours, then itches. It will stay swollen for a week, at least.

I hate Fire ants.

1 comment:

Malori said...

I had no idea about the National Day of Prayer! I'm sorry I missed it! Is it regularly on that day, because I thought National Day of Prayer was in May...
I was very surprised when I read that your son is going to live on his own! I hope he is ready...it can be a scary world out there...personally, when I turned 18, I was ready to "get out" but necessarily be completely on my own. But as long as he's prepared and responsible, it's all good. You've probably told him this already, but just remind him that moving away from home doesn't mean moving away from God, too. I'm so glad I've found a good church here...church is vital to staying close to the Lord in college!