Monday, January 05, 2009

Surviving Unscathed

Well, my on rotation is over and I escaped unscathed. As a matter of fact from New Year's Day on, I was not called at all. While I still was confined to the very immediate area, it still allowed for me and my wife to go to church (twice), run to the store, grab a quick lunch, and even have a coffee date at Escapé, a local trendy coffee shop. Think of it as a Stabucks sans attitude. While my wife and I enjoyed it, she is beginning to see that spending $4 for a cup of joe is not very fiscally responsible. Not that I mind doing it for her, but she is just as happy with a cup from QT for $3 less.

I am very thankful that my on call was as slow as it was...end of year usually is not so. When I came in and asked my TL how his week of solo work was he replied, "Slow". I am glad we both had it easier than expected.

Nonetheless I was thrilled to get out of the house today. After a couple of weeks I was getting a bit stir crazy. Too bad the weather is not cooperating...it is too mess to geocache on the way home and I have a few (I think three) that I could get as long as it is not raining...four if I am in jeans and have my boots with me).

During the Christmas break I noticed my request for a company issued cell phone was rejected but only because the manager above mine failed to approve it in time. I am not sure what has to happen next to make sure I got one but he approves of my idea of getting a smartphone with data. I thought he would balk at it but when I explained that it could be used as a wireless broadband modem as well and the data/voice/text plan is unlimited and cheaper than two separate devices each with its own plan, he said it made sense and THANKED me for trying to save money. Well, I did have a bit of an ulterior motive in that I wanted to try wireless broadband and see if it was worth getting on my personal line but I did not want to get locked into a contract to find out. We are all winners.

No comments: