Saturday, January 24, 2009

Feeling Better

Time is helping to mend my broken heart. I have been rather down ever since we put Maxx down the other day but each day that goes by I get a little stronger. I was even able to watch one of the puppy videos we have of him last night without tearing up.

It is frigid cold today (mid 30's) and geocaching was not on my agenda. While there is little I like better than tromping around in the woods looking for Tupperware, when the wind is blowing hard and the air is cold, I would rather stay indoors. So I did. Maybe I will do some tomorrow.

I started my day with coffee and a quick walk with The Golden. I had a light breakfast before I settled down and prepared a Sunday School lesson that I need to teach tomorrow at church. It only took a couple of hours and I think it will go well. It is hard to teach adults, especially when most of the ones in my class are better bible students than I am, but I manage.

After that I started working on the house, vacuuming everything and then mopping the kitchen. The house smells better now and my wife is happy.

My wife and I ate some leftovers for lunch and after we cleaned up that mess we did some laundry and made the bed, putting on fresh sheets. My wife picked up some very nice 425 thread count sheets at Sam's that are the nicest we have had yet. She got a very good deal on them.

While I still have a lesson to do for Wednesday, I decided I would watch some MMA videos online, catching some matches I missed afew weeks ago. Nothing really memorable, but they were pretty good.

I am getting hungry and my wife and I are thinking pizza might be nice. While not the healthiest thing we could eat, it is what we both are craving right now.

Oh, I had almost forgot. I took the time to switch my wife from her old IBM Workpad (a C3 which is a Palm Vx clone) to my old Palm Tungsten E. While the E is not a fantastic PDA and is hard on batteries, it is better than what my wife was dealing with on the C3. The touch screen was beginning to fail in a serious manner and it was becoming almost unusable.

The switch was not the smoothest process I have dealt with but it went well...no hitches. Since I have a Palm Centro my wife and I cannot share the same version of Palm Desktop. And since her laptop does not have a serial port, she really was not able to synch her PDA up for a backup until I uninstalled the Palm Desktop on my PC and installed the version that she could use. Then I did a synch to load her data on the PC then synched my old E to her profile. Once that was done I installed Palm Desktop her her laptop and synched the Palm T|E with it and now she can have her own, newer PDA on her own PC, fully synched. If hse updates to a newer PDA (which is the plan) the switch should be painless.

The only other thing I have done this weekend was work on a PC for a guy who used to be a security guard at our building. He just bought a laptop (a rather nice one at that) and wanted some help installing, configuring, and tweaking it. He is rather computer illiterate so I agreed to help him out. I gave him my church member rate even though he is not a church member. I kinda feel sorry for him so I try to help him out.

He gave me his old PC which is a Gateway P4 3.2 ghz machine. It has a mobo problem so I am only going to use it for parts. I may keep the case because I like the looks of it but I doubt I will keep anything other than the RAM. He wanted the HD and the rest of the goodies are matched to the case. Nonetheless, it did have a gig of PC3200 DRAM which is the same type I have in my my Linux box. The additional gig of RAM boots me to 1.5 gigs so the machine runs pretty good now. I would have loved to snag the processor but it is not the same socket style as mine so I can't. Maybe I can get a deal on a motherboard for it...

No comments: