Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Call Me A Wimp If You Want...


Since Maxx has been vomiting and pooping all over the house the past couple of days, we decided to let him stay in the kitchen last night, which we blocked off from the rest of the house. I dug out my sleeping bag and laid on the other side of the pet gate until we both fell asleep. I spent the night there, what little there was of it. I got to bed at midnight and was up at 4:30 AM. My back is a little stiff and sore but that is a small price to pay.

Oddly enough Maxx has eaten twice since I posted yesterday's entry. He ate a small handful of turkey jerky treats and two small fistfulls of kibble. This morning he ate 1/2 a cup of kibble and a few turkey jerky treats. My wife told me that her heart is pleading not to put Maxx down, but the reality is that Maxx would only live s short while longer and his discomfort would only increase. While this decision to put him down is killing me right now (I have never had to put a pet down before, but my wife has) I do not want his quality of life to deteriorate any further.

Yesterday I had to take Maxx out every two hours. Normally he can go much longer than that but yesterday he came and got me when it was time for him to go out and he did not waste any time once he was out in the yard...he did his business and came right back to the patio door.

Last night he did not make a mess although he was ready to go when I got up at 4:30 AM. I loved on him for a while then I made some coffee to help me shake the cobwebs away. He is laying in his box with the door open right now. He looks sleepy.

We are planning on going to one of the nature preserves near by to let him roam a bit before we take him to be put down. I had originally planned to get this done in the morning but my wife wants to spend a bit more time with him so I agreed to do this in the afternoon.

Maxx was sitting beside me this morning licking my hand while I was contemplating the task at hand today. It is just like "man's best friend" to comfort us when he is the one who is really having problems.

I have teared up several times the past couple of days. Maxx has been a very good friend. He will be missed.

No comments: