Monday, January 26, 2009

Surprises

The past few days (AKA, "The Weekend") were peaceful and the amount of work that I accomplished was impressive. I may have to try that particular schedule again sometime.

I started out Saturday by working on my Sunday School lesson. It only took a couple of hours and I gathered a lot of good data. It was on Collosians 2:11-23, which is on legalism. It was interesting work.

After I was finished with that, I did a thorough vacuuming of the house (we had three dogs for half the week, then one for the remainder) and got up a fair amount of dog hair (we had three dogs for half the week, then one for the remainder) in the process. After spending about two hours doing that, my wife asked me if I would mop the kitchen since we have had a lot of dogs in there lately. How could I refuse that pretty smile?

After the house was clean, I had a quick lunch with my wife and then I started working on migrating my wife from her old IBM C3 workpad (a Palm Vx clone) to my old Palm Tungsten E (T|E, as it is known). The process took longer than in normally would because of a few issues beyond my control. The first was that her laptop does not have a serial port and all attempts to get her C3 to sync via the serial/USB converter failed, so I could not immediately synch her PDA with her PC.

The second thing was that my PC Palm Desktop software is not compatible with her PDA, so I had to uninstall my new version and install her older version of Palm Desktop to my machine. Then once I did that, I synched my old T|E with the older Palm Dekstop and then installed that same version of Palm Desktop on her laptop. Once all that was done, all I had to do was sync the T|E with her laptop and she was running solo. During the entire process I was scared to death that one of the PC's would overwrite her PDA and I would everything, but God was on my side and now she has a new, old T|E to use.

The only downside to using the T|E is that it goes through the non-replaceable battery very quickly and has to be charged every couple of days. While it will be a pain for her to some degree, at least she has a backup of her data that is more compatible with the newer Palms, providing she goes that route. I still have hopes of getting her a T|E2 if I can find one reasonably priced.

After that it was time for dinner and a walk with The Golden. When we got back I worked on my Care Group lesson for this Wednesday and in no time it was completed. My day was drawing to a close and my chores were done.

"Hey, wait a minute El Gee, how come you did not go Geocaching?"

It was pretty cold and windy on Saturday and GPSr coverage sucks when it is windy, so I held off going geocaching until Sunday afternoon. And to be honest it turned out pretty well. While my total number of caches for the day was lower (10), I managed to get four that I DNF'd several times in the past, so all in all it was a good day. I even made it home in time for dinner.

Afer coming home I took a walk with my wife and The Golden (I have been walking The Golden in the morning and we walk her at night) and then I fixed myself a huge spinach salad and called mom. Since my mom talks more than I do (those who know me but not her are shaking their heads in disbelief) I munched on my salad while mom filled me in on things both interesting and mundain. About the only thing I told her was about having to put Little Man down. She said she knew in her heart we had done it. We are so in tune with each other.

Early on in the conversation she informed me my sister has diabetes. I do not know how severe it is but it appears that it is still in the early or minor stages since all they are doing is working on her diet first. Now that she has been diagnosed, the rest of the family is being tested. I will pray for her. It is yet another hurdle that we must clear.

After that conversation I went in to watch Law and Order: Criminal Intent on Bravo. I had forgotten about the MMA bouts on Versus TV and missed some great WEC action. Uriah Faber kicked Jens Pulver's but again and Jamie Varner defended his belt, yet again. Whoo-hoo!

I guess we went to bed early and I slept most of the way threw with the exception of gettig up at midnight, hungry and thirsty. I grabbed a pack of 100 calorie Wheat Thins and a glass of water and consumed them before heading back to bed. I slept like a baby.

No comments: