Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Concern

I write this post from the kitchen on my "sandbox" (an older test laptop borrowed from work running Ubuntu Linux) because I broke the ceiling fan light in my office. I pulled the chain as I normally do to kill the light and the chain broke off at the base of the light. Lot's of fun to repair.

My concern is with our nearly 15 year old mixed breed dog, Little Man. Little Man has had a variety of issues over the past year (many which appeared to be allergies) that we treated with diet and drugs. He appeared to be getting better now that winter is here and in full force. However last week his right side was bulging out unusually and my wife took him back to the vet (after being there three weeks ago to clear up a skin infection). We had suspected that Little Man had Cushing's Disease (he had most of the symptoms) so he was being tested for that. After those expensive tests came back negative, it was discovered he had an inflamed bowel. He was prescribed more drugs and a "bland" diet. After getting him home and giving him the first half of a can of his new food, he has yet to finish the can. After the food appeared to sit in his stomach for over a day, he threw up twice in one day. He has not eaten in two or three days and appears completely uninterested in food. He spends the bigger part of the day sleeping and when he is not sleeping, he drinks and goes out to pee. That is pretty much his life right now...he refuses to walk more than 100 yards from the house. I am afraid he is slipping away. This thought saddens me greatly. We have had him since he was a puppy and he has been one of my best friends. I have trouble imagining life without him.

If you are a praying person, please lift us up. Pray that if it is Little Man's time to go, it will be peacefully in his sleep. Also pray that we will not fall completely apart when he goes. He has been like a family member to us. We have treated him better than some people treat their kids (not spoiled, just well treated) so losing him is like losing a son or daughter. If you don't have pets you may not understand.

1 comment:

TheTruth said...

So sorry to hear about Little Man. My thoughts and prayers to you and yours.