Sunday, January 22, 2006

Ouch and "Singing in the Rain..."

I had my surgery at approximately 2 PM (delayed an hour while we were waiting on the surgeon) on Friday. The procedure took about 1.5 hours. That was a little longer than expected because they found additional damage that need correcting. After some time in the recovery area, I was fitted for a back brace and discharged. I was actually able to walk a bit that night and took a small walk (.5 miles) the following morning with my wife and the dogs. Actually the doctor told my wife not to let me stay in bed, but to get me up and walking some. That is not a hard thing...I like to walk. Sitting still is what sucks.

Sleeping is tough because I have to wear the brace 100% of the time. I normally sleep fetal on my left side, but I have been trying to sleep on my back some of the time, at least a few hours a night.

Bending is a no-no. If I drop things, well if I can squat and get it (if it is light enough) then I am OK. If not, it stays on the floor until my wife picks it up. She has not grumbled at all the past 2 days. I am trying to help as much as possible with any light items I can carry.

I was prescribed antibiotics (3 pills a day for 5 days) and pain meds (as needed). I have only taken one of the Vicodin for pain, just a couple of hours before bed last night. It made me a bit sleepy, so I was able to get a good nights sleep, even though I kept getting up to go to the bathroom.

The incision is tender (duh!) and about 1.5-2 inches long. I am not sure how many stitches. I have a follow-up appointment with the surgeon on the 26th, so he can check how I am healing. I hope I get a good report back from him. I want to get back to normal. I do not enjoy having to have my wife help me to everything. I know it is God's way of showing me how much we need each other. There is not such thing as independence in a good marriage.

I have received a couple of phone calls and one meal so far from those in our care group at church, Ben* called and asked what he could get me and to be honest, I was in the mood for a pizza from Papa John's. He had one delivered and all I had to do was sign for it. What a guy. Mack* called later in the evening to see how I was doing and to let me know he was praying for a speedy recovery. He and his wife are looking at houses about 30 miles north of us. Homes are cheaper there so he will get more for his money.

We have not had any significant rain in about 3 months here in North Central Texas. That changed early this morning when it began raining and has not stopped. It is not a real hard rain, but it has been steady. I guess everyone who was praying got what they wanted :).

Well, our internet connection has been pretty bad all morning so I am gonna close this.

More later!

No comments: