Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Of Cylons and Back Surgery

A while back I saw the pilot episode for the new Battlestar Galactica on Sci-Fi. While I liked the grittiness of it, I was rather disappointed to see how sexual the new show was. For that reason, I never bothered watching the series.

I managed to see a few episodes and the more I watch it the better it gets. If you like sci-fi and have not seen this, I suggest you give it a try. The characters really grow on you and the new storyline is quite compelling. The new Cylons are not machines, well not all of them that is. The robotic ones still make up the bulk of the race, but they have figured out a way to make synthetic humans. Not clones, but beings that look, smell, and feel like real humans. The new Cylon Raider space ships are not all machine, but sort of cyborg space ship with organic and mechanical parts.

A couple of things that I do not like (other than the sexual content) are: Starbuck and Boomer are both female (Starbuck is white and Boomer is Asian) and Colonel Tigh is a drunk (and white). Just seems odd to me.

I like the new Adama, although his relationship with his son, Lee (Apollo) is strained.

I have seen 5 or 6 episodes, plus the pilot. I think I have about 10-12 more to watch, then I will be up to date. I also have a few more episodes of "The Lone Gunmen" and almost a full season of "Star Blazers" to watch. That should help keep me occupied while I recuperate from back surgery, which has been delayed a couple of days. The surgeon was overbooked and did not want to cut on me when he was tired. I guess that is a good thing, eh?

No comments: