Thursday, May 01, 2008

National Day Of Prayer

This morning at 6:00 AM I went to participate in the NDoP at our church. I did not expect many people to be there at 6:00 AM and I was correct. The attendants were the senior pastor, the associate pastor, the senior elder, and myself. Our church is open from 6:00 AM to 9:00 AM (we have a Christian school on our premises and we cannot interfere with their schedule) so I expect most people to show up between 8:00 and 9:00 AM.

We had seven prayer stations set up (plus communion, for those so inclined) to allow the participant to pray for specific groups/subjects (military, church, family, government, education, business, and media) as they desired. I stopped at each station for a couple of minutes then headed to the back of the sanctuary to pray for specific needs (I have a lot of friends who ask me to pray for them and I have taken the liberty of praying for others as well). The senior elder asked me to join him and the others to pray for our senior pastor who has been having dizzy spells lately. We prayed and then chatted about things in general. The senior pastor has asked my wife and I to become prayer partners during service. We (along with a few others) would be available during the service to pray with people if they request it. Considering I feel that my verbal prayers are rather mundane, I was surprised that we were asked. However I was reminded that it is the inward prayers of our heart that God is really listening to and since my heart has softened considerably over the past 15 years, I guess it makes sense after all.

Anyhoo...I had to get home to start work so I bid the men farewell and headed back to the house for coffee and cinnamon rolls (the rolls were left over from last nights care group gathering...we had breakfast for dinner and dear Lord that was GOOD) before I started my shift.

If you are a Christian, be reminded that today is the day all Christians unite in prayer for our nation. If you have not accepted Jesus Christ as your personal savior, then all I will say is that he died for the sins of all mankind...yours and mine. All he asks in return is to trust him to guide your life.

Peace.

No comments: