Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Economic Stimulus

Whether you think it is a good idea or not, the federal government is giving a rebate to most US taxpayers this year. The rebate is $600 per taxpaying adult, $1200 for couples, and $300 per dependent. For us, it equates to $1200 since Soldier Boy is dependent no longer on us.

Everyone has a idea on whether this will help spur the economy. Regardless of you opinion, you have at least $600 to do with as you wish. The feds are hoping you will spend it and some of us will. I personally am using in four specific areas:

* Pay off one of the two credit cards we owe money on.
* Pay of my wife's new (used) Gateway laptop that was sold to us by a member of our church (at a very good price).
* Get me a GPSr unit so I can return the one I am borrowing from yet another member of our church (who has let me borrow this one indefinitely since he has two).
* Plop the remainder into the bank.

Since we owe more than the total of the two credit cards, we will continue to drop $500 a month on the other one until it is paid off. We normally are not debt people but a few things came up over the past four years that caused us to borrow the money. The first was some home repairs, then we had not one, but two knee replacement surgeries for The Golden. Let me tell you something, if you go to a good vet hospital, it ain't cheap.

The stimulus packaged comes at a good time. I have been holding off on buying the GPSr for 4-5 months because I wanted to get a good one and did not have the cash to get it. Paying off credit cards is always a good feeling and once we get the other one paid off, we will only owe on our house...both cars are paid for. This truly is a blessing from God.

Now I have had a few people tell me, "well, your wife doesn't NEED a laptop...you have a computer at home and you don't need the GPSr since it is a hobby. You are trying to get out of debt so you should cut back more." Well, two things I have to say about that: 1) It is none of your business. 2) My wife and I have cut back more than most people (we haven't charged anything since the last dog surgery 1.5 years ago, our cable is at the bare minimum I can have to still get broadband, we do not have a home phone, neither of us has any nicer new clothes, I work from home two days a week, our eating out is very low cost once or twice a week, I mow my own grass, and I even cut the grass of one of my neighbors) and we still have been tithing, even though my wife quit her part time job and I lost 2.5% of my pay thanx to cutbacks at work.

We just got back from vacation and for the 5th year in a row (maybe longer, I am not sure) we did not use our credit card for any of it. 100% Florida vacation at a very nice secluded beach house in cash. Not many people do that. Oh, I forgot to mention that we have not charged anything on our credit cards during Christmas for at least five years. We are learning to live on one paycheck (mine), tithe, get out of debt and still do a few fun things.

To be honest we have gotten quite good at living on a budget. While it would be nice to treat my wife to some nice, new clothes and fancy evening out, she is realistic at this point. We have even had people ask us to help them get back on track with their home finances.

Once we get the credit card paid off, we will only owe on the house and then we need to do some more improvements, namely flooring (we are still on the original carpet of our 10 year old home) and living room furniture (cheap 10 year old stuff from Rooms To Go). Once that is done I am sure an appliance, hot water heater, furnance or A/C unit will need replacing.

So say what you will...I am stimulating the economy by buying a few things, paying off some debt, and saving a little. I am going to use this gift from God to give us a moral boost that we need.

No comments: