Sunday, May 11, 2008

Cache and DREAM

Whoo hoo I had a grand time on Saturday afternoon. My morning was not bad but the afternoon was better.

I had gotten a call Friday evening from the men's ministry leader asking if I would help serve during the womens "mother/daughter" breakfast. I was glad to help and it gave me a chance to chat with a couple of the guys I normally do not talk to much. After the serving was over, I volunteered to wash dishes and clean up before going home. The ladies had a good time and they were pleased with our work. That was a good feeling.

After my wife and I got home, I decided to grab a few caches with the new GPSr. I initially had trouble getting used to it but after a while it became easier. While I missed a few, I still came home with 20 smilies (smilies are the graphical symbol on the geocaching web page that you get when you find a cache) in about a 5 hour period. I did a lot of walking and got most of the 20 cache "Star Wars" series, plus a few that I had missed in the past.

Once I got home I cleaned up the old GPSr I was borrowing from a guy at church and then started collecting things for the chuch yard sale. I was able to get rid of a few things I will most likely never use. It helps cure me of my pack rat syndrome!

I got up this morning and was pleasantly surprised when my wife was ready for Sunday school when I was, so this time she was actully going to go to SS as well as church service. That was pretty good as well. After church we dropped off the items for the yard sale and then my wife and I went to the Rockfish Grill for lunch. I had the etoufee (whch was okay, but not spectacular) and my wife had the macadamia nut crusted Mahi Mahi with wild rice and creamed corn (she picked the sides...it normally comes with skillet potatoes). She gave me a taste and I had to admit it was pretty good.

We got home and she said she was going to walk The Golden at the nature preserve in Plano so I decided to grab a few caches in the area. I only got four today, but two of them were pretty hard and another was in very secluded area that the police watch. It is the site of an old strip mall that has basically overgrown with weeds and it has been stripped of much of the recyclable material. The brush is so thick it hides the mall from the road and the access to it is not direct so getting in and out is a big weird.

After I got back and called my mom to wish her a happy Mother's Day, I walked the dogss then started watching some of the matches at the DREAM MMA event last night in Japan. I only watched three of the fights because I recognized the fighters. I could have watched another that I recognized but I am not a big fan of Caol Uno so I skipped it. Instead I watched Eddie Alvarez, Nick Diaz, and Jason "Mayhem" Miller take on opponents. My thoughts:

Eddie Alvarez def. Joachim Hansen - I watched Eddie when he used to fight on Bodog. He is a great striker and while he peppered Hansen with punches and kicks, the fight went to decision because he never could take control once he had Hansen on the ground. It was a good fight nonetheless.

Nick Diaz def. Katsuya Inou - I have only seen a few fights where someone actually threw in the towel...this was one of them. Diaz is a tough guy from Compton. He is a Cesar Gracie BJJ practitioner and is a purple belt if memory serves me correctly (a Gracie purple is equal to almost anyone elses black belt). To top that off, he is a skilled (if not unorthodox) boxer. While he can finish you on the ground, he would rather stand and bang all the while taunting you. That is exactly what he did with Katsuya. Katsuya decided to stand and trade punches with Nick instead of getting him down and trying some ground work. BIG MISTAKE. Nick does not back down. Katsuya was basically a target for Nick to pound on for 10 minutes.

Jason Miller def. Katsuyori Shibata - This was my favorite fight of the night. If you have never seen Jason "Mayhem" Miller in action, go to mmalinker dot com and watch a few. Darn he is entertaining, win or lose. His antics in the ring had me laughing the entire fight. Shibata was completely out of his league with Miller. Miller picked him apart and made the audience laugh as he punched, kicked, and kneed his victim into a bloody pulp. After the video was over I looked up "Katsuyori Shibata" on the web. While I am not sure, I think it means "punching bag" in Japanese. Just kidding, folks.

If this card does not change, then July looks like it will be a hot month. Affliction has managed to sign Fedor and Tim Slyvia for a heavyweight bout. I think this may be Fedor's toughest contest in years. He has had it easy for a while. Of course TUF 7 is looking pretty good with Evan Tanner, Diego Sanchez, and Jeremy Stephens on the card. However I am very excited about UFC 85, with a PACKED card including Matt Hughes vs. Thiago Alves, Marcus Davis vs. Mike Swick (I am really looking forward to that one...I like both fighters a lot), Fabricio Werdum vs. Brandon Vera, Jorge Rivera vs. Martin Kampmann, Antoni Hardonk vs. Neil Wain, Paul Taylor vs. Jess Liaudin...actually the whole card is good, those are just my favorites.

Well, I need my beauty sleep...if you know what I look like you would agree!

No comments: